A Few Problems--Ubuntu 11.04

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Hello everyone, I have a few small problems while using Ubuntu. #1, YouTube videos play too fast (like a 15 second video plays in a couple seconds) #2, I cannot seem to get any audio over HDMI, and nothing from the headphone jack too. My video card is a Radeon HD5550. I'm pretty new to Linux, so a simple walkthrough would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Huh, never heard of the "flash videos play too quickly" issue before, you can check the version by pulling up the browser (assuming Firefox or compatible here) and entering
Code:
about:plugins
into the address bar. Look for the Adobe entries.

One of the possible causes for your issue may be the Radeon drivers (I've heard they've gotten better since being taken over by AMD, but back when they were just ATi, they... were... terrible)

This page covers a lot of the basics in terms of troubleshooting audio issues, so it makes sense to at least check the basics first.

nigelren

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

I had loads of problems with Flash on Ubuntu, finally found Flash-aid ( and no this isn't an advert for disinfectant :-/ ) which is an add-on for Firefox. It's good at sorting problems with Flash out.

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011

On the about plug-ins page, I see one thing that has to do with Flash: Flash - Version: 10.3.181
Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181. I tried installing AMD drivers, and I got an error (I don't remember specifically what it was though)

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
The HDMI you're trying to pipe audio across, does it actually provide access to do that? Not all video cards that provide HDMI also support audio through that connector.

I'd say it may make sense just to do a search for "$YOUR_VIDEO_CARD ubuntu 11.04 driver" or something similar for a walkthrough on how to make sure the drivers are installed properly.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Thanks for double-checking the audio thing for me, it looks like it is indeed supported but by default, in Ubuntu, it's disabled, see this page for general setup (including audio)

I am still a bit confuszzed (portmanteu of confused and puzzled) about the fast flash playback, is it just Youtube or all flash content?