Sign in with
Your question

Just did major hardware upgrade. Why is it still slow?

Last response: in Applications
June 3, 2009 8:50:15 PM

Hey guys

I just upgraded my PC with an AMD 940 x4 Phenom processor and a ATI Radeon 4870 Graphics card to run 3d applications faster.
Though when I run Maya 2009 in a scene containing 14046 faces, it's still quite laggy. Could it be due to my silly 2gb of ram?
I hope it is, because I was expecting more performance improvement by doing such a radical upgrade.

Thanks in advance, Alexander.
August 18, 2009 9:02:09 AM

hey man, hope this reply aint to late, i majorly upgraded my pc a few months back and i use alot of video editing software, i noticed not a great deal of improvement until i upgraded to 4 gig of ram, dont rush out and buy new ram on my word though, check your system for bottlenecks, but to be honest you shouldnt find any with that processor and that gcard, what motherboard are you using? and also i know its probably a silly question but have you installed the amd processor driver? this is something i didnt know about till a friend told me. Hope i have helped a bit
August 18, 2009 9:07:16 AM

Ey. Ye recently I took the step to order 2x 4gb ram blocks. Ye, I've installed all the drivers and stuff. with 10gb of ram, it hopefully wouldn't be a problem :whistle: 
!