Sign in with
Your question

How do I remove Windows for Linux?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
July 25, 2011 12:24:13 AM

I've heard of CCleanerPortable and Boot&Nuke but I can't find any experienced writing on the subject - only the same old twaddle suggesting
Dual OS

More about : remove windows linux

Anonymous
July 25, 2011 10:36:57 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Linux/Free BSD by Grumpy9117
July 26, 2011 1:14:33 AM

CCleaner is something that cleans up junk files, so it'd be of no use here. DBAN is an option. Use DBAN to format the drive, and then install Linux from a Live CD (I think most, if not all distros have them).

If I might ask... Why are you so interested in dumping Windows completely anyway? Dual booting would be a good option, as it also means that you're easily compatible with Windows programs too. I know Linux has WINE, but...
a b 5 Linux
July 26, 2011 4:29:45 PM

mglennpooh said:
I've heard of CCleanerPortable and Boot&Nuke but I can't find any experienced writing on the subject - only the same old twaddle suggesting
Dual OS

If you are truly interested in dumping Windows and installing some version of Linux, almost all installation media comes with a mechanism for wiping clean a disk for use for Linux, it's mostly a matter of picking a distro and finding out how they do it in their installer.

As far as Dual-booting, it's not a bad idea to keep Windows around if you already paid the MS tax when purchasing the machine (esp. if you play games or use some other SW that doesn't have a Linux analog, which is getting rarer and rarer), plus you get the nerd cred of having a duual-boot setup (although you may eventually move away from Windows altogether :) )
!