Sign in with
Your question

8800 Black Screen

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 19, 2007 1:15:17 AM

I am experiencing problems with my computer. I've read through some other threads but can't see to find an answer that can help me.
When i turn on my computer the monitor is black and does not seem to be receiving a signal but i can hear the computer starting up. I think i've isolated the problem to my GeForce 8800 GTS, for the time being i'm plugged into my integrated gfx card and it is working fine.
I think it may also be possible that it could be a mother board problem in the pci slot but i really have no idea. I've removed the gfx card and examined it for any scars, burns, ruptured capacitors, etc and i dont really see anything. I have also examined the motherboard am at a loss for what is wrong and how to fix it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

More about : 8800 black screen

May 19, 2007 1:50:47 AM

I dont think i disabled the integrated gfx but the card was working for about a month or so.
Windows Xp
AMD ANthon 64 3500+
Evga 8800 GTS 328mb
HP/Compaq motherboard name: AmberineM-GL6E
2gb ram
HD -200 GB SATA 7200 rpm
PSU - Roswelill 480W
May 19, 2007 1:59:52 AM

Ahh,
that is so depressing lol. I just bought this psu for my 8800...i obvioulsy dont know much tho haha
Related resources
May 19, 2007 4:20:56 AM

Anyone else have any suggestions? Even if you agree that would be nice to hear so i dont jump in to anything.
a c 141 U Graphics card
a c 152 V Motherboard
May 19, 2007 4:47:11 AM

Quote:
Anyone else have any suggestions? Even if you agree that would be nice to hear so i dont jump in to anything.

Any chance your monitor got switched over to Analog only mode and it's simply not accepting your 8800's digital out? Can you try using a DVI-VGA adapter and plugging the card in via the VGA input?

-Wolf queries

P.S. I think it's probably the power supply as well, but doesn't hurt to check everything else first.
May 19, 2007 5:04:15 AM

I have a 19'' samsung crt monitor. I am not sure if it is possible to switch to analog, and if it is i wouldn't know how.
I am currently using an adapter from my monitor to the gfx card.
May 20, 2007 9:00:18 AM

Why would i be able to run the gfx card with no glitchs for over a month and it all of sudden stop working? I dont understand why a powersupply would be the source to this problem. Also, the fan still continuously goes on the gfx card...not sure if that means the card is still getting enough power tho.
I just want to make sure i'm doing the right thing before i go to all the trouble of getting a new powersupply.
Also... if this is the case-
What powersupply would you recommend? Keep in mind i am upgrading to a Anthon 64x2 3800 very soon and i dont want to spend a whole lot of extra money on a powersupply that does more than it needs to.
May 20, 2007 9:36:20 AM

My advice is... NEVER buy a PSU unless mpilchfamily has approved it; he will save you alot of headache. Peace :twisted:
May 20, 2007 10:52:04 AM

Quote:
My advice is... NEVER buy a PSU unless mpilchfamily has approved it; he will save you alot of headache. Peace :twisted:

that affirmation makes mpilchfamily PSU guru and he is for sure
!