Sign in with
Your question

2900xt performing worse than x1800xt in oblivion

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 19, 2007 1:29:12 AM

I just got a 2900xt today and for some reason I'm getting about 15-25 less fps with it that my old x1800xt in vista 64 ultimate and I have no clue why. when I first hooked up the 2900 I only plugged in 2x3 into the 8 pin slot cause I didn't know it needed two. In vista I got some warning message that said my psu might not be able to support my card and said the clock frequencies had been reduced. After that I turned off the computer and plugged in another 2x3 and didn't get the message again but I'm still gettin horrible frame rates in oblivion. Did vista turn the frequencies on my card down until I can somehow turn them back up? BTW it's reporting in the catalyst hardware information that the gpu clock speed is 507 and the memory clock speed is 514 and I know those should be higher caues those are lower than the x1800xt. Anyone know what's going on here?
May 19, 2007 1:35:27 AM

It's most likely the fault of the drivers. Apparently the drivers for the 2900 are, well... crappy. But give it time. ATI will give out better drivers. Too bad the customer has to act as a beta tester.

Edit: I reread you original post, an I must say, I'm a bloody idiot. Ignore me.
May 19, 2007 1:39:41 AM

The normal frequencies for the GPU and memory are 740mhz and 1.65Ghz (DDR) respectively.

Now if Windows is telling you the PSU isn't enough, maybe it is right. Please give the complete name of your power supply along with the amperage on the +12V rail(s). This can be found on the sticker that's on the power supply, inside the case.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2007 1:44:07 AM

The card automatically turns down the speed to save power. Once a 3D app starts, the speeds are turned back up. To diagnose your problem, we need more specs/specifics. Other than that, all you can do is wait for drivers.
May 19, 2007 2:05:35 AM

I'm using a OCZ game x treme 600 watt psu and so far not having issues with any other games. I really don't want to buy a new psu when it says that a 550 watt or greater will support a single card. I don't get that message about not having enough power since I plugged in both 2x3 plugs.

*edit* I just checked the psu box and the combined A is 36.
May 19, 2007 2:17:39 AM

Quote:
I'm using a OCZ game x treme 600 watt psu and so far not having issues with any other games. I really don't want to buy a new psu when it says that a 550 watt or greater will support a single card. I don't get that message about not having enough power since I plugged in both 2x3 plugs.

*edit* I just checked the psu box and the combined A is 36.

dang.. Not good news for me... Im running the same PSU... damn.. W/e maybe the 2950s can cut down some pwr
May 19, 2007 4:01:54 AM

I just tried oblivion under xp in the same area and the game ran fine. At about the same fps as my x1800xt so I'm guessing I'm cpu limited in that aspect but I'm glad it runs at least as good as my old vid card. So maybe it's just a vista driver problem? Or maybe it just takes the card awhile to realize it has to work harder since it runs at lower speeds when it doesn't need to work?
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2007 4:17:54 AM

I think that the clock speed thing is instantaneous, so it shouldn't be an issue. As soon as Oblivion first pops up, the card should go to the correct speed.

Can you check the card temp anywhere? I have the same power setup (2x6 pin), so no Overdrive, and I can't find the temp readings anywhere.

Have you tried a 3D Mark yet? For some reason, mine don't work (it never ends the startup scan). I tried reinstalling drivers, and still no luck. I believe my old nVidia drivers uninstalled correctly, so I don't know what the issue is.
May 19, 2007 5:24:03 AM

3Dmark06 ran fine in vista havn't tried it in xp.
May 19, 2007 5:59:32 AM

Just tried to run 3dmark06 under vista and I'm getting the same rusults you are. Another thing. The drivers do really seem to blow on the 2900xt for vista right now. I'm not even gonna post the results of the 3dmark test i ran under vista... just too pathetic. It did score less than my x1800xt.
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2007 12:07:31 PM

507 and 514 is the correct speeds for 2D mode, it should bump up in 3D mode. What drivers are you running?
May 19, 2007 5:37:02 PM

I'm using the latest drivers available from ati/amd. Maybe the 3dmark scores are correct... I can't remember exactly what I had with the x1800xt but thought they were higher.
May 19, 2007 7:19:05 PM

if you sum up driver issues, windows vista, and 64bits problems with many software, then you have your poor performance, it is asuming you have a great CPU like Core2 or Athlon X2 4200 or higher, your psu is right for that system surely
May 21, 2007 2:57:04 AM

Looks like it is only an issue with vista or vista 64 at least. My 3dmark06 score was about 4,300 marks more in xp. I guess I'll have to wait for improved vista 64 drivers.
May 21, 2007 3:41:01 AM

I don't run vista so I'm not sure about this, But when running Vista with the Aero Glass interface wouldn't the card be consistently in 3D mode? Something to ponder on.
May 21, 2007 3:56:43 AM

I highly doubt you are CPU limited to any significant degree in Oblivion unless you're playing at very low res with all IQ settings on low.
!