E6600 tops out at 2.93 ghz

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I've got an E6600 in ASUS P5W DH Deluxe. I've not been able to get it run reliably at greater then 2.93 ghz with a FSB of 325.

I've got the stock cooler on the E6600 with 4 case fans, 2 in and 2 out.

Any suggestions as to what I might try to increase the speed? Do I need to adjust the voltage to the CPU, by how much? Do I need to adjust anything on the DDR2 800 memory to get it to run at faster than PC6400?

This is the first computer I've ever built, and it runs well, unless I try to get to more than 3 ghz. After that, it seems to become unstable and will shut down without warning. From watching the CPU temp, it never goes over 50 degrees, C.

thanks for any advice you may be able to give!

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I've got an E6600 in ASUS P5W DH Deluxe. I've not been able to get it run reliably at greater then 2.93 ghz with a FSB of 325.

thanks for any advice you may be able to give!

Check these settings. If any of them are wrong you won't get decent overclocks. My 6400 is running at 3.2 Ghz on the P5W-DH.
----------
ADVANCED / JUMPERFREE
AI overclocking - manual
CPU frequency -
DRAM Frequency - (underclock for now, bring up later)

Performance mode - Standard
PCI Express frequency - 100
PCI Clock synchronization mode - 33.33Mhz
Memory voltage - set to spec
CPU Core voltage - (set one notch up for now, must set manually)
FSB Termination voltage - [auto]
MCH Chipset Voltage - [auto]
ICH Chipset voltage - [auto]

Digital Home Mode - Disabled
---------------------
ADVANCED / CPU SETTINGS

Modify Ratio Support -Disabled (or enable and drop clock ratio)
Enhanced C1 Control - Disabled (very important!)
CPU Internal Thermal control - Disabled

Intel Speedstep Tech - Disabled (Important)

ADVANCED / CHIPSET SETTINGS

Configure DRAM Timng by SPD - Enabled (Critically important for P5W-DH!!)
DRAM ECC Mode - disabled (by default)
Hyper path 3 - DISABLED (otherwise the motherboard chipset is being massively overclocked, this is what usually prevents CPU overclocking on the P5W-DH)
DRAM Throttling Threshold - disabled (critical)
-------------
POWER / HARDWARE MONITOR

AI Quiet - Disabled

Good luck! :lol:

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Can you list total system specs as well as what CAS level you are running your RAM?
Yes - exactly... but more than that, at what speed is the op running the memory?
@ comrade
You can't run the RAM at DDR2-800 speed, you should run it at DDR533.
So at 333FSB (1333QDR) you will then get DDR666 memory speed, but it may still say DDR533 briefly on your POST screen when your rig starts up. (It lies!)
In theory then, PC2-6400 is good for up to 400FSB on Intel CPU using this synchronous 1:1 CPU:memory ratio, which perfectly balances bandwidth @ 8.4GB/s for both (calculated at 266FSB).
So set your memory voltage to at least ~2.0v and relaxed or SPD settings, and set to synchronous, same speed as the FSB. Then, go right for the 333FSB - I'll bet it starts up okay.
If it starts, at some point you could then check CPU-Z to see about your memory. Typically your SPD will show better timings ie. 3-4-4-10 at reduced memory speed. This is a good thing.
I prefer not to think of it as 'reduced' - it's rather just well within the memory's rated speed capacity, y'know?
This is why Intel guys can get excellent performance and in fact a healthy OC using only PC2-5400 memory, while AMD guys on the other hand like to run PC2-6400 which works well with their HyperTransport baseclock (which is 200MHz).
Anyway, this will completely remove the memory as a factor in your OC, you can then concentrate on pushing your memory timings which is kinda fun (like a miniature overclocking game-within-a-game, LoL) if you're pissed-off that your memory is rated for 800MHz or whatever...
If a Core2 PC has to relax its memory timings to 5-5-5-15 in order to run an asynchronous 2:3 ratio, the performance gain of the extra memory speed is reduced to almost zero right away.
But surely there is still a very small performance increase - right? The only problem is, as soon as you OC your rig even the tiniest bit you are then OCing the memory too.
Unnecessary, actually! I am getting my 266MHz SPD timings easily (3-4-4-10) at the next higher (333MHz) memory speed, which pleases me. And my CPU still runs nice and cool at 2667MHz - a 25% OC! So it's all good,
Regards

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Can you list total system specs as well as what CAS level you are running your RAM?
Yes - exactly... but more than that, at what speed is the op running the memory?
@ comrade
You can't run the RAM at DDR2-800 speed,

Guys, the O/P says this is is first build. He should follow my Bios setup suggestions just to get the basics of overclocking in place before the esoterica of Bios versions and types of memory overclocking etc. N'est-ce pas? He doesn't know yet that he has to change these things from defaults before overclocking can happen on the P5W-DH.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hey buddy. I saw you found some help on this topic. You should be able to get your rig to 3.2Ghz without a prob, but just make sure your temps are ok.

1st - Get Intel's Therman Analysis Tool (TAT) to check your temps. Dont know what you are using??? Make sure you run both cores at load, and make sure the temps stay under 65 (ignore my sig, I'm living on the edge).

2nd - get the latest BIOS from the Asus website. Flash it. (cant remember version)

3rd - I have everything set to default (check Wuzy's guide). Only things I have changed is v-core (1.425v), and my RAM set to 2.2v (my OCZ RAM is certified to that voltage, dont overextend yours).

4th - there is a FSB black whole from 366 to 400, but you havent hit that yet, just FI.

5th - what RAM are you using. That could be the prob??

Whats the error messsage you are getting when it becomes unstable (BSOD)?

Post as much info here as you can, and we'll disect the prob.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
PS. Asuming you havent read Wusy's Core 2 Duo Overclocking Guide, make sure the northbridge and FSB voltages are increased (can get it from the guide). Mine are at default, but that could be your prob.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Hey buddy. I saw you found some help on this topic. You should be able to get your rig to 3.2Ghz without a prob, but just make sure your temps are ok.

3rd - I have everything set to default (check Wuzy's guide). Only things I have changed is v-core (1.425v), and my RAM set to 2.2v (my OCZ RAM is certified to that voltage, dont overextend yours).

4th - there is a FSB black whole from 366 to 400, but you havent hit that yet, just FI.

The P5W-DH does NOT overclock with "everything at default." Several things have to be disabled. That fact is in Wuzy's guide.

The FSB black hole applies to the 965 chipset, NOT the 975 in the P5W-DH. It overclocks smoothly between 366 and 400 Mhz. HOWEVER it does have a block above 400. It hits a wall at 400 and won't go above that without increasing the voltage for the chipset by a considerable margin.

If you want to help the O/P, talk about the P5W-DH, NOT the P5B, which is completely different in how it handles overclocking.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
The FSB "hole" in 965 chipsets is realted to the instability in memory between ~360 and 400 MHz on the FSB due to the strap change. The key is to skip 360-400 and go directly to 405, of course when you get up into 405+ FSB your MCH voltage needs to be raised slightly, but it isn't that big of a deal, Wusy's guide provides for appropriate voltage settings.

NB core need only be ~1.5 v for some good clocks, only needs to be north of 1.6v for soms serious FSB's (think ~450+). The voltages are estimates, but you get the idea, each board is a little different. I made ~400FSB on 1.35v NB core. :)

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
The FSB "hole" in 965 chipsets is realted to the instability in memory between ~360 and 400 MHz on the FSB due to the strap change. The key is to skip 360-400 and go directly to 405, of course when you get up into 405+ FSB your MCH voltage needs to be raised slightly, but it isn't that big of a deal, Wusy's guide provides for appropriate voltage settings.
:)

I say yet again, the request for overclocking help is on a P5W-DH, which uses the 975. It doesn't have the strap change.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

I say yet again, the request for overclocking help is on a P5W-DH, which uses the 975. It doesn't have the strap change.

You are right... I totally misread your post. I thought you were referring to the 965, my fault. At 2am my reading skills are sub optimal. :oops:

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

You are right... I totally misread your post. I thought you were referring to the 965, my fault. At 2am my reading skills are sub optimal. :oops:

S'ok, I'm that way too. At this point Comrade (the O/P) should step in and say if anything in this thread has been useful.. :?

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

The P5W-DH does NOT overclock with "everything at default." Several things have to be disabled. That fact is in Wuzy's guide.

The FSB black hole applies to the 965 chipset, NOT the 975 in the P5W-DH. It overclocks smoothly between 366 and 400 Mhz. HOWEVER it does have a block above 400. It hits a wall at 400 and won't go above that without increasing the voltage for the chipset by a considerable margin.

If you want to help the O/P, talk about the P5W-DH, NOT the P5B, which is completely different in how it handles overclocking.

1) Dude, I'm talking about my own PC (check sig). I ran into that black hole from 366-400. I can boot at 401 X 9 (3.6Ghz), but then my temps are too high.

2) All my settings are at default except for a few mentioned in Wusy's guide (SPD, thermal control B/S etc). If I want to boot at 3.6Ghz, then I need to start messing with the northbridge etc.