Replacement Motherboard for a Dimension XPS Gen 3

rtruch

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Hello,

I currently have a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 3. The motherboard does not support Intel® Core™2 Duo Processors. I would like to upgrade my current machine to a motherboard that supports that processor.

Does anyone know if I can buy a motherboard outside of Dell to accomplish this. Or are Dell motherboards and cases so custom that it would not be compatible?

Thanks ahead of time for any responses!

harmattan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Any atx motherboard should fit. I replaced my original P4 mobo in my old Gen 4 with a Gigabyte 965P a while back. Although you'll have a heck of a time removing the PSU casing to get at the mobo (that big green thing).

Since you're replacing the mobo you'll also need to reformat the HD with a fresh Windows install. But you probably already knew that...

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
The problem is going to be the power supply. Dell doesn't use a typical PSU connection (at least last I checked). If you upgrade the mobo and correspondingly the CPU the PSU will need to be upgraded as well and that means a new case. It is a rather big project unfortunately. :?

najdier

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Would you be interested in selling the old motherboard? I'm in the market for this particular model if it is in full working order.

G

I have the same model and would be interested in selling.

Contact me at davegenie@hotmail.com on MSN messenger or mail and maybe we can come to a deal. It is a 3.4 processor with 4gig of DDR2 RAM.

D

demariye

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I have the same model and would be interested in selling.

Contact me at davegenie@hotmail.com on MSN messenger or mail and maybe we can come to a deal. It is a 3.4 processor with 4gig of DDR2 RAM.

D
i WOULD BE INTERESTE DIN BUYING THIS MOTHERBOARD. CONTACT ME @DEE0115@LIVE.COM