Sign in with
Your question

Question about System Restore?

Last response: in Windows XP
August 17, 2008 12:20:44 PM

Today I got a virus that kept trying to sell me things that my pop-up blocker seemed unable to block when I went from page to page, the Internet Explorer said I might have a virus and asked if I wanted a free scan to eliminate this virus.

I didn't do anything but restart my computer and clear my internet temp files, cookies and history, then I did a System Restore and when I was done with the restore all my saved game files were as they were before I restored my computer. So did System Restore actually restore my computer. The last time I restored my computer I lost some saved games, but this time I didn't. Why?

Thanks Systemlord :) 
August 17, 2008 2:15:09 PM

I would think that it would depend on when the restore point was created.
Perhaps your first point was prior to the games and things being installed.
Not all program loaders create restore points.

I havent really messed with the Vista restore setup, but in XP I had it set to only create a restore point on my command as I tired of waiting for it to make a restore point while I was trying to do something.

Finally I moved to ghosting software to create a image of everything that I can insert when needed thus eliminating the need to guess what may or may not be restored.

To answer your question though it would seem that it worked. Only time will tell if you get the popups again.

A friend of mine had those popups and if I remember correctly I was able to get rid of them by getting rid of a IExplorer add on through the tools menu.
I cant remember the name of the add on but do recall that it was a rather cryptic name and stood out from the rest.

August 17, 2008 9:33:29 PM

pat mcgroin said:
I would think that it would depend on when the restore point was created.
Perhaps your first point was prior to the games and things being installed.
Not all program loaders create restore points.

I havent really messed with the Vista restore setup, but in XP I had it set to only create a restore point on my command as I tired of waiting for it to make a restore point while I was trying to do something.

Finally I moved to ghosting software to create a image of everything that I can insert when needed thus eliminating the need to guess what may or may not be restored.

To answer your question though it would seem that it worked. Only time will tell if you get the popups again.

A friend of mine had those popups and if I remember correctly I was able to get rid of them by getting rid of a IExplorer add on through the tools menu.
I cant remember the name of the add on but do recall that it was a rather cryptic name and stood out from the rest.

I will report back if the problem arises again, thank you.
!