cripp

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I'm running Vista Ultimate and my dvdrw drives (2) aren't available. I've tried the regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

trick, but that didn't work. I tried System Restore and was told no entries when I know I made a backup, anyway do I try a Repair?
cripp

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
do they show up in device manager?
If so delete them and reboot and they will reload at startup.
If not check the master slave jumpers on the back of the drives
It depends on what controller they are on as to how to set the jumpers.
Youll need to provide more info for a correct answer.

cripp

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
they are sata drives, they do show up in the device manager have the triangle ? I have deleted them and did a reboot. This has happened once before, several months ago and I've deleted the upper and lower entries in the registry and did a reboot and that worked, but this time, only the upper entry was in the registry not the lower. So I deleted that entry and then did a reboot, they showed up in the device manager with the yellow?
Cripp

Do you really need 2 DVDRW optical drives, I've been using 1 now for almost 2 yrs, why do you need 2, copying on the fly?

You can have problems with SATA optical drives, when AHCI is enabled for the SATA HDDs you may have, like pat said, you need to provide more info.

cripp

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I'm sorry, They're IDE drives. An ASUS DRW-2014LI & a Sony AW-Q170A. Like I stated in post #3, I don't know how much more info you need

Vista Ultimate
P4 8400@4g

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
try running a registry cleaner like ccleaner and see if it helps
Vista should see the drives natively.
Since they are IDE be sure to check the jumpers and also check the bios to be sure IDE in enabled correctly.

I would try the cleaner first as it sounds like the registry is confused.