Sign in with
Your question

Hey need a lil help!!!<----

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 19, 2007 5:38:11 AM

Hello to all!!!

New products: Well get these items for free from my friend.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz
GIGABYTE GA-M55SLI-S4 Socket AM2
New Case
New PSU (500W)(24AMP)
Still keeping ATI 800<-->will upgrade-hate it! :) 

Replacing:
Intel 2.8 LGA775
Crappy Dell motherboard
Dell Case
PSU
Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS <--> Keeping this.

So I am new at this and I have been reading how to set-up a DIY PC but as soon as I get these new products in, I might be lost on what the hell to do. Hopefully all of yall will be here to help me out if I get lost in the near future.

Anyway I would like to know if I change these items from my old DELL with the new items, Do I need to change anything on my hard-drive (Install Windows Again)? Can I uninstall everything that DELL put in my system after I put the new MB in?

Plus, send me some links on DIY for updated PC's, so I can read more about them. Still dont have a clue about BIOS!

Please be kind and help me out!
Thanks!

Chrissy

More about : hey lil

May 19, 2007 5:44:54 AM

One way to go about it is a way a lot of us did it, which would be just play around and see what happens. I fondly remember having to do an install of Windows 3.11 because I needed to free up space on the hard drive and deleted a .dll file thinking "Well, it's 0 bytes so it couldn't hurt." :lol: 

Just play around with things and learn where your CMOS jumper is, and you'll be fine.
a c 86 à CPUs
May 19, 2007 6:20:51 AM

Before shutting down the dell for the last time, go through and remove all the drivers you can. Sound drivers, LAN, Video/display, IDE, USB, all of them. Don't reboot, just keep telling it your do that later. Shut it down, and pull the drive.

Things get a little tricky here. Your going from a single core, but hyper threaded chip, to a dual core CPU. (at least I think your Intel is hyper threaded...) I'm not 100% sure about what HAL they use. If they use the multi processor, you probably don't need to reload windows. If its currently using the uniprocessor, then you'll need to reload windows. (before you shut the dell done, look under "computer" in the device manager for what "acpi" your using. Your hoping for the multi one, not uni.)

Many will tell you that reloading windows is the best way to go. Its certainly easier. If you want to do it this way no matter what, here is a link that will help you do that.
May 19, 2007 3:05:26 PM

Not all the LGA775, 2.8Ghz P4s are hyperthreaded; those with a 533FSB are also lacking HT.
!