linux formatted external hdd to be read off xp

rapture79

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
i have a 500 gig Linux formatted hdd that i run using Ubuntu 11.04 but i need to have the audio files in it read in windows xp. windows recognizes it as a mass storage device in the control panel, but i cannot access it, and won't even show up in "my computer"..how can i access and read my device? i've tried side by side os dual boot and virtual box. do i need any special settings for virtual box to access my Ubuntu desktop? all the files i need are either .wav, mp3, mp4, or flac files so windows xp should read them. i just need to read and not write. ANY SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED as i need to run a windows audio app and wine won't run it smoothly enough!!!! please help.

well what file system did you format it as? in ubuntu post the output of "sudo fdisk -l". In the future just keep it as NTFS.

you can also try this if it is EXT: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/
ex2fsd doesnt work with all ext4 partitions, but ext2read is much more robust.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006

Sorry, but that does not parse: all versions of Windows should support FAT32 natively (since that's the default FS on pretty much all removable storage), what exactly did you download/install?

Also, you might want to take a peek at the Device Manager when you plug in the external drive to see if it's at least recognized (if it's not, it don't matter what FS is on the drive if it can't be seen)

rapture79

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

it can be seen and says its working properly but not accesed i downloaded drivers so windows could read large fat32 file systems

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006

Please clarify what happens when you attempt to access the drive (steps taken to attempt to access the drive, resulting behavior, and point at which this behavior occurs)

Lets take this back to basics.

Can you boot the XP machine with a live CD and then try reading the drive? If you can then you could work round the problem by copying the files from the drive to your XP installation whilst booted via the live cd.