Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadstar

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
hi

i had windows xp. i burned most my files to dvd cause i wanted to upgrade to vista ultimate 64-bit and i had to do a clean install

however, during setup i realized that it was letting me keep the files that were there, which i found odd cause i didn't select the upgrade option (it wouldn't let me)

so now i have a Windows.old folder with 4gb of files. can i delete this folder safely or should i keep it?

Solution
Backing up your data is good practice and insurance. And correct - When changing from a 32 bit version to a 64 bit one, there is no option to 'upgrade' - Clean Install Only.

However as you discovered, Vista installer will recognise an existing installation and create the Windows.old folder. You won't be able to run the old programs from there, or anything like that, but you should have your data. If you are done and no longer need the contents, yes it is safe to delete it.
Backing up your data is good practice and insurance. And correct - When changing from a 32 bit version to a 64 bit one, there is no option to 'upgrade' - Clean Install Only.

However as you discovered, Vista installer will recognise an existing installation and create the Windows.old folder. You won't be able to run the old programs from there, or anything like that, but you should have your data. If you are done and no longer need the contents, yes it is safe to delete it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.