Windows Vista Ultimate Shutdown Problem

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Hi, I use dual OS (XP SP2 & Vista Ultimate 32 Bit). Recently I can't shut down my vista from the start menu, when I click that icon, the vista is shutting down until the screen becomes black and state no signal but the problem is all the lights and fans from my casing are still running, the system won't shut itself down.

I noticed it once I updated my nvidia vga driver to 177.92 (still beta). Could it be the problem? Please help anyone that have the same problem with me?

Intel E6750
Gigabyte 965P-S3
Nvidia 8800GT
Corsair Twin2X 2048 PC6400C4
Silverstone Element 500Watt

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
No, it couldn't. But the OS needs the chipset driver in order to shut down completely. Is the Intel INF driver installed? It's on the mobo CD. After that, you need to set up the power saving options. Is BIOS set to S3/STR?

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Yeehaaa, thanks for your help.

I change the BIOS setting from S3-STR (default) to S1-POS and everything went back to normal. But, just curious what are that setting for? Why in win XP I don't need to set it to S1-POS but in Vista?

Anyway thanks for your help.

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Sorry mate, apparently the problem still persist. I noticed it once after I load the game application (3D application), the vista won't shut down from the start menu. If I don't load any 3D application, it will shut down normally....whether in S3-STR or S1-POS BIOS setting mode.

Strange but true...what's seems to be the problem?

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
S3/STR is the one for modern PCs.

Is the Intel INF driver installed?

The power options in Vista must be set up correctly. In your case, it should be shut down.

windows-vista-power-management.JPG

Go to the Power Options, Click change plan settings, Click Change Advance power settings.

In the "Power button and lid" section there is a "start menu power button" option that allows you to set that button as sleep, hibernate or shutdown. You may decide what the button does. It simply defaults to sleep.

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006

Nope :( still the same...