Sign in with
Your question

Ubuntu Server to host VM's

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
August 8, 2011 4:49:51 PM

Hey Guys, I am about to start a server build and want to get into Virtualization. I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu server as the host and run multiple VM's off of that. Anyone have experience doing this? Recommend against it? etc. Thanks

More about : ubuntu server host

August 8, 2011 5:32:27 PM

That'll work. The more memory you have, the better. VirtualBox is probably the easiest VM Manager to use.
m
l
August 9, 2011 1:59:27 AM

Ijack said:
That'll work. The more memory you have, the better. VirtualBox is probably the easiest VM Manager to use.

Agreed. I used to be all about VMWare Server on my old rig (dual Opteron 285's w/ 6G) but have since seen the massive improvements in Virtualbox (port forwarding used to be a CLI-only affair and that's as good as it got: port forwarding)

The more memory you can throw at it the better, and depending on how many machines you want running at a time, cores start to become important as well.
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2011 6:37:11 AM

One advance with the latest build of VirtualBox is the ability to limit the amount of CPU time a VM uses. It gets better and better as time goes by and, notwithstanding the Oracle connection, is still being actively developed.
m
l
August 9, 2011 7:00:32 AM

Oracle is more than flaky in the open source department, hope Virtualbox is maintained very well... I really hope they donate OpenOffice the document foundation... idk...
m
l
August 9, 2011 2:29:40 PM

amdfangirl said:
Oracle is more than flaky in the open source department, hope Virtualbox is maintained very well... I really hope they donate OpenOffice the document foundation... idk...

So far they've been pretty good with frequent new releases of VirtualBox, so I can't complain too much (although I still will :D )
m
l
August 9, 2011 9:59:31 PM

Thanks a lot guys. Looks like this is the direction i'll be going.
m
l
!