Sign in with
Your question

Linux as a Firewall/Router

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
August 9, 2011 9:32:56 PM

I am instructed to build a LINUX box in one of my college classes. I was also instructed to build it considering the firewall will be canned well on or up and running and scan it when the firewall is down and off. I need a lot of help in knowing how to start this project! HELP! Thank you

More about : linux firewall router

a b 5 Linux
August 9, 2011 10:04:50 PM

If you're just looking to run a Linux based firewall, there are various distributions such as pfSense, Untangle, m0n0wall, etc. If you need to set up a specific Linux distribution to act as a firewall, there's plenty of packages available for that.

I don't want to help you too much with your homework, but I can tell you if you google how to make a Linux firewall, you will find plenty of guides. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Good luck.
m
l
August 17, 2011 12:36:15 AM

Thank you and I can also see I was having a bad spelling day! I was instructed to build a LINUX box. I was also instructed to research ZENMAP along with building this box. I have to be able to write a script and the script will basically have to be able to run without error. Maybe that explains it a little better. I was a little baffled and frustrated that particular day. I haven't and won't ask anyone to do my homework, whats the point in going to school? Just guidance. Thank you PB
m
l
Related resources
August 17, 2011 12:51:31 AM

Pyroflea said:
If you're just looking to run a Linux based firewall, there are various distributions such as pfSense, Untangle, m0n0wall, etc. If you need to set up a specific Linux distribution to act as a firewall, there's plenty of packages available for that.

I don't want to help you too much with your homework, but I can tell you if you google how to make a Linux firewall, you will find plenty of guides. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Good luck.

Dear Pyroflea,
please notice the post under you answer.
Thank you,
puttybutt :hello:  :bounce: 
m
l
August 17, 2011 1:53:26 AM

I received the same reply twice...o.k. I get that but I am asking the same question with more info added. Thank you PB
m
l
!