Sign in with
Your question

HELP !! ASUS 7900gs artifacts at stock ! Ideas?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Asus
  • Drivers
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
May 19, 2007 8:50:15 AM

Hello,

Just bought ASUS 7900GS (non-TOP) 256/256 clocked at 450/1320 MHz.

Pulled out my older 5950_Ultra 128mb/256bit from the AGP slot, uninstalled the drivers and then pulled in the 7900GS into the PCI-X slot, installed the ASUS drivers and utilities.

When i launched the 3dmark03 benchmarks, the pixel-shader scenes got very very very highly artifacted. Collected 10K+ points...

Downloaded and updated the newest system bios 1.70, via chipset pack 510a, and then the newest ASUS drivers 94.42(or kinda that), and the artifatcs are STILL highly visible... Tried with stock CPU, and again with OC'ed..

System specs:

*Asrock (cheaper division of ASUS) 4CoreDual-VSTA Mobo, based on VIA PT880PRO/Ultra
*E4300 @ 2.40 (1066)
*1GB PQI DDR2-667 CL5
*Creative SB Live! 24bit 7.1
*Leadtek Winfast 2000xp TV-tuner
*Samsung T166 250Gb SATA2 HDD
*Win XP SP2

Please share your ideas :) 

More about : asus 7900gs artifacts stock ideas

May 19, 2007 10:03:33 AM

Sorry for trying to scare you with my very first post (woke up in a bad mood) :x but when such a thing happend to me I lost my GPU in 2 month afterwards (it was AGP still).
May 19, 2007 1:09:52 PM

Yes yes, PCI-E. It had a dual adaptor from 2 standard molex to 1 pci-e power connection. I used 2 different rails from the PSU to connect it. And the power is sufficient = 550W.
Related resources
May 19, 2007 8:15:08 PM

have installed VISTA and it ran flawlessly, not a single glitch ! Collected 16500+ points with CD-Supplied drivers 100.xx

then had an idea of installing xp again, and even a fresh install gave the stupid artifacts.. then decided it's the asus enchanced drivers, but no - uninstalled all asus stuff, and it still gives shit with nvidia drivers 93.xx

guess I'll have to stick with Vista... probably the time has come.. :/ 
May 20, 2007 8:09:52 AM

Done more testing with Vista and newest 158.xx drivers, collected 16655 points.. Although 3dmark03 gives 0 artifacts, the screen frequently flickers and returns error "video driver recovered successfully".. so I guess it's DOA...

I'll probably have to bring it to the retailer and request a RMA...
May 21, 2007 6:19:49 PM

I think the problem is the power supply. Since from whe I could tell it only has a single 12volt rail. that I doubt it has enough amperage on that rail to truly support both the CPU and the 8800GTX at the same time. You might want to try replacing the power supply with with at least another 500W PSU with 2 12V rails. Like these:
LIBERTY DXX 500 SLIā„¢
Thermaltake Purepower 600W
TruePower Trio 550

-ouch1
May 22, 2007 8:17:28 AM

Thanx ouch1, but these are expensive, and i think it has enough ampers..

I had my VGA replaced by the retailer - no result...

The main idea, as I have read across the web, is the world-famous VIA->NVIDIA issue, where PT880 Ultra does not work with 7800/7900 cards...

http://help.wugnet.com/vista/Gforce-cards-pt880-ultra-f...

http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.aspx?catid=70&th...

I'll have to ask my retailer to replace the mobo with one of the similar-priced...

As of cheap ones, I like ASUS P5PL2-E:
it has 5.1 HD audio, PCI-X x16 support, FSB 1066 (good for OC'ing my CPU) and is inexpensive.

Suggestions?
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 22, 2007 8:50:19 AM

That is probably a dodgy psu btw. I am trying to get a pic of the label, but I havent found one yet. Maybe you could take a photo of it and post it here...?

EDIT: q-tech are tier 5 on the xtremesystems rankings, which gives me the impression that your psu is low quality.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

Of course these rankings are not based on heaps of testing, but are good for a general idea as to how good or bad a psu brand (or model) is.
May 22, 2007 9:25:25 AM

okay, as soon as i get home, I'll take my camera and get a picture of it, or even earlier at work, if I find one here...
May 22, 2007 4:38:04 PM

sdeivis,

Read the top post in the thread I linked below and it will give you an idea why we say it is your psu that is causing the problems:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

Just remember that with good psu's you pay for quality and compared to a q-tec the ones I linked are much better and have way more stable power rails.

-ouch1
May 22, 2007 8:36:42 PM

I have taken a photo of my PSU label.. Yes - one rail with 20A Peak... Hmm.. i bought this one with a hope to support a good video card and net to spend a lot of money... :( 
May 22, 2007 8:37:04 PM

The photo is as follows:

May 22, 2007 9:32:52 PM

Well IMHO I recommend getting a refund on the Q-tec one and getting a good Tier-3 or better PSU with at least 2 12V rails with 22A each. This will make you system much more stable, and it will supply the proper power to your video card.

-ouch1
May 22, 2007 11:29:32 PM

I am running my rig ( X2 4600+, 8800GTS 640MB, BFG nForce 590 SLI mobo, 2GB DDR2 800MHz, and lots of other goodies ) on this:
Thermaltake Purepower 500W
And have not had a single problem. But it also has 29A combines from both 12V rails. And I paid $75 for it 1.5 years ago.

If you look around a lil bit you can find good deals like these:
Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply - Retail $69 ($109 -$40 mail in rebate)
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V Ver.2.0 535W Power Supply - Retail $89.99
ENERMAX Whisper II EG565P-VE FMA(24P) ATX12V Ver 2.0 535W Power Supply - Retail $79
All 3 of the above support both 110V and 220V AC current so they should work outside of the US without a problem.

And just remember when it comes to power supplies good quality means higher prices. 5 years ago I paid $100 for a 300W enermax power supply. So prices do also come down eventually.

-ouch1
May 23, 2007 2:31:54 PM

Well in Lithuania, outside US a refund is not an easy option - you have to bring an _accidentally_ failed PSU, with no warranty void to get a refund... I bought it about 3 months ago, so the warranty exists, but..
it is virtually impossible to get a refund as the warranty is void as soon as it gets damaged..
May 23, 2007 2:57:35 PM

This is Lithuania: EU, but still half a 3rd world, so they don't import these brands from your list..

The only worth attention, but much more expensive than I can afford ~ $70 in ur money would be this one:

ZM460B-APS ZALMAN 460W ATX PSU, ULTRA SILENT
May 23, 2007 4:53:27 PM

The Zalman should work well for you. It has a combined 34A on the 12V rails. If I were you I would give that a shot and see if it takes care of your problem.

-ouch1
May 23, 2007 6:46:09 PM

Well... I can't afford just buying another PSU, which is even more expensive...

If my corrent Q-tec "suddenly" died, that would be an option to request a model change to a better one with additional payment, which I could try to affrod..

But that's probably not that easy...
May 23, 2007 10:15:22 PM

Well you could always contact the retailer you purchased the system through and demand that they replace it since it is obviously defective. They should replace it just to make you happy. And especially since you have already delt with them about this issue I doubt they will have a problem swapping it out.

-ouch1
May 23, 2007 10:47:45 PM

When my nvidia drivers get corrupt it artifacts everywhere, also happened on my old board if i installed ntune, removing old drivers completely using the removal info @ http://www.tweakguides.com in the nvidia guide and installing the new ones solves it for me every time.

It may not be your problem but it happens to me regularly when i update drivers
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 24, 2007 4:30:14 AM

Quote:
Well... I can't afford just buying another PSU, which is even more expensive...

If my corrent Q-tec "suddenly" died, that would be an option to request a model change to a better one with additional payment, which I could try to affrod..

But that's probably not that easy...

But if it "suddenly" dies, so might your whole system. :?
May 24, 2007 9:31:24 AM

Quote:

But if it "suddenly" dies, so might your whole system. :?

That's exactly the main idea of my concern..
May 24, 2007 10:38:32 AM

Custom PC (UK) did a review with test equipment a while ago, and the Q-TEC was terrible! If you read the label on yours, you will see it say "PEAK Power" 20A. It DOESN'T say what max continuous is. I suspect the artifacts are when the graphics card is pulling max power. If that PSU fails, it may well take other components with it. f you are prepared to pay big money for a top CPU and graphics card, please DON'T skimp on the PSU!! You DO get what you pay for.

Mike.
May 24, 2007 11:13:57 AM

i guess your reply was for OP :) 
My point on the whole thing is that ive got an Nvidia Certified PSU and i artifact due to drivers :D 
May 24, 2007 3:53:58 PM

Quote:
My point on the whole thing is that ive got an Nvidia Certified PSU and i artifact due to drivers :D 

If your drivers are corrupting that fast I would be worried about something else. Like viruses, a corrupt program, or something seriously wrong with the OS. In the 5 years that I have owned nVidia products I have never had a drive corrupt on me to date (knocks on wood). Unlike older ATI drivers where they were nothing but problems. If I were you I would back all of my data and settings and reload the systems OS and drivers from scratch and see if that happens again.

-ouch1
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 25, 2007 5:14:55 AM

My ati drivers screwed up 2 days ago, check the Graphics card forum for a thread called "extreme artifacting with sm3 render path" or something.
May 25, 2007 2:44:33 PM

Quote:

If your drivers are corrupting that fast I would be worried about something else. Like viruses, a corrupt program, or something seriously wrong with the OS. In the 5 years that I have owned nVidia products I have never had a drive corrupt on me to date (knocks on wood). Unlike older ATI drivers where they were nothing but problems. If I were you I would back all of my data and settings and reload the systems OS and drivers from scratch and see if that happens again.

-ouch1
Nah, honestly its just this damn finiky card, ive had a few nvidia cards before and never had this problem, only this card and ive done reinstalls and what not of XP and i can reproduce it 90% of the time, besides sometimes you lose perfromance on installing over previously installed drivers( simple to test in ATITool ). On my ASRock board if i clean installed XP, installed nvidia drivers, install nTune -> blue/purple tanks in BF2 and weird black triangles, remove nTune, problem goes away, install new driver, purple tanks and what not are back, remove drivers completely, install new drivers again -> perfect.

Im just giving my experience on the 'weird' if you know what i mean

Ive never had any of these issues with my ATI cards( just slowdown in atitool installion catalyst over previous driver ). I always run my OS in top form, definately no viruses/corrupt stuff or anything like that simply because i kill everything in XP that consumed CPU/memory including services/startup junk, id run 3 or 4 virus shceks with avg/spybot s&d/Lavasoft Adaware, Hijackthis, teatimer running for reg modifications and Kerio firewall for all process connections and preventing program replacements, my XP install was a fort knox but im on vista now which suxorz
May 25, 2007 4:11:37 PM

What video card do you have? We know you have a low end mobo, but I think you may just have a flakey video card. If I had seen this myself on one of my systems I would have rma'd the card asap. Also I never install new drivers over older drivers I always use driver cleaner pro to remove the old ones before I install the new ones.

-ouch1
May 25, 2007 9:06:32 PM

the whole system was bought from another retailer than the video card, so my motherboard "suddenly" died and now i will get a replacement to an ASUS i945 based with extra $15 to pay..

If this doesn't help - my PSU will have to die too...
June 6, 2007 8:34:11 PM

Yeah, i got my mobo replaced to an ASUS P5PL2-E and voila - not a single artifact 8O :D 

P.S. As I was saying, this was NOT a PSU problem, but a world-famous nvidia-via issue with the PT880 Ultra chipset.
!