MB drivers & Linux Mint 11

precisiontech

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
So I just built a new machine and installed Mint 11 as the only OS. Everything is working perfectly...peripherals, router, HDD, optical drives, etc. However, I haven't installed the driver CD which came with my motherboard. Do I still need to install these drivers even though everything seems to be working fine?

Solution
As long as everything is working there's no reason to worry about it. Linux tends to include a lot of the more common drivers within the kernel, so unless it's an obscure piece of hardware drivers generally don't need to be installed after the fact.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
As long as everything is working there's no reason to worry about it. Linux tends to include a lot of the more common drivers within the kernel, so unless it's an obscure piece of hardware drivers generally don't need to be installed after the fact.

Solution

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006

Agreed, and at least last time I checked, none of the mobo manufacturers actually include linux drivers or software with their boards anyway (would be a support nightmare given how rapidly Linux changes and how different distros will do things differently)