Sign in with
Your question
Solved

MB drivers & Linux Mint 11

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
August 10, 2011 7:10:36 PM

So I just built a new machine and installed Mint 11 as the only OS. Everything is working perfectly...peripherals, router, HDD, optical drives, etc. However, I haven't installed the driver CD which came with my motherboard. Do I still need to install these drivers even though everything seems to be working fine?

More about : drivers linux mint

Best solution

August 11, 2011 1:31:01 AM

As long as everything is working there's no reason to worry about it. Linux tends to include a lot of the more common drivers within the kernel, so unless it's an obscure piece of hardware drivers generally don't need to be installed after the fact.
August 11, 2011 1:49:57 AM

Pyroflea said:
As long as everything is working there's no reason to worry about it. Linux tends to include a lot of the more common drivers within the kernel, so unless it's an obscure piece of hardware drivers generally don't need to be installed after the fact.

Agreed, and at least last time I checked, none of the mobo manufacturers actually include linux drivers or software with their boards anyway (would be a support nightmare given how rapidly Linux changes and how different distros will do things differently)
m
l
Related resources
August 11, 2011 1:58:56 AM

That is another valid point. Sometimes they're kind enough to include Linux drivers on their websites though (if you can find them!)
m
l
August 11, 2011 3:45:47 AM

Best answer selected by precisiontech.
m
l
August 11, 2011 3:46:50 AM

Thanks! If it's not broke don't fix it.
m
l
!