Status
Not open for further replies.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Right now I have a very basic server set up. It is running Windows Server 2003 and at the moment is nothing more than a file server. My problem is accessing it with my 64-bit Vista Ultimate laptop. At first I had no problems doing everything I wanted to do. Now all of a sudden I cannot rename folders. I have complete other access however. I can copy, cut and paste files to and within the network drive. I can create a new folder but can not rename it or any other folder. I get an error message that "the path z:\folder\folder doesn't exist, would you like to create it?" Essentially, it is telling me the parent directory doesn't exist. It doesn't matter if i create the folder burried in a string of other folders or if i create it in the main shared folder. I still can't change the name. I can still use it and move it around it is just titled "New Folder." To my knowledge I haven't changed anything related to this on my laptop. Do you have any suggestions. The way I access the drive is through windows explorer through the mapped network drive i have linked to the server. I have even tried running explorer in administrative mode and that doesn't work either. As I stated earlier, it used to work and now it doesn't. I have not touched my server in about 2 weeks so i have changed nothing there.

Solution
The Solution:
First go to "start>controlpanel>offline files"
then click "disable offline files"

Next:
Go to this website
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69837-new-folder.html

Download the "Newfolderfix.reg" File
Click yes when it asks you to continue to put the file into your registry.

After that, restart and it should be fixed!

I only disabled offline files and that worked for me... I didn't do the registry fix. So... disable offline files and see what happens. Chances are it will work.
The Solution:
First go to "start>controlpanel>offline files"
then click "disable offline files"

Next:
Go to this website
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69837-new-folder.html

Download the "Newfolderfix.reg" File
Click yes when it asks you to continue to put the file into your registry.

After that, restart and it should be fixed!

I only disabled offline files and that worked for me... I didn't do the registry fix. So... disable offline files and see what happens. Chances are it will work.

Solution

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Hey, thanks for the response. I'll give that a shot tomorrow. It's just wierd that it did work. I'll let you know how it turns out. It seems the registry fix is for problems on the local machine. I am only having trouble on the the server. I can do anything i want on the laptop. It's the server where I can't rename a file. hopefully it still fixes it.

Like I said, I had the same problem... Vista Business (though it's 32-bit I'm using) and Windows Server 2003. Disabling offline files fixed it and I couldn't believe how simple a fix that was. I would still like to know what the root cause is, though.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Haha. I guess I was just thinking the solution would be more complicated than that so it wouldn't show up on google. Another reason why being lazy doesn't help anyone. Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.