Bluetooth Headset

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

(1) I am looking for a new cellphone that uses Bluetooth for the wireless
headset (ear piece/mic). That V551 seems to be hot. How does it work with
the companion Motorola Bluetooth headset?

(2) Also, can you add a Bluetooth adapter to your PC and use the same
Motorola Bluetooth headset to make calls using an Internet Phone program on
the PC? I use Skype, but there are others available. I like the idea of one
headset that covers two devices (sell and Internet on the PC). Also, on the
computer, it would allow me to walk around the room without dragging a wire.

NOTE: I am not proposiing integrating both the cell and PC, I just want to
use the headset with one or the other, but not in any integreated way.

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Gary wrote:

> (1) I am looking for a new cellphone that uses Bluetooth for the wireless
> headset (ear piece/mic). That V551 seems to be hot. How does it work with
> the companion Motorola Bluetooth headset?

Like a dream come true.

> (2) Also, can you add a Bluetooth adapter to your PC and use the same
> Motorola Bluetooth headset to make calls using an Internet Phone program on
> the PC? I use Skype, but there are others available. I like the idea of one
> headset that covers two devices (sell and Internet on the PC). Also, on the
> computer, it would allow me to walk around the room without dragging a wire.
>
> NOTE: I am not proposiing integrating both the cell and PC, I just want to
> use the headset with one or the other, but not in any integreated way.

Having brushed up one the Moto HC810 (mine) and HC820 BT headsets, they
use the standard BT link audio protocol (like most BT headsets). One
thing the Moto headsets do that some others don't is maintain a list of
the last 8 devices (w/pairing keys) it paired with, the top entry is the
most recent. When the headset turns on, it attempts to link with the
topmost entry. If the device it finally links with has been paired with
before and is on the list, it re-links quickly without having to
re-authenticate with keys. IOW, if a device is on the list, the headset
already has the key for that device, eliminating the need to re-auth.

As to whether the Moto HC* headsets work with any PC dongle, I can't
say, but if the dongle uses standard BT protocol....

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Gary wrote:

....skooze me, Moto model numbers are HS810/820, not HC810/820

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'