Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Setting up Dual Boot on a flash drive that isn't always plugged in

Last response: in Windows 7
December 2, 2009 4:36:55 AM

So here is the situation. I have windows 7 Home Premium installed on my desktop but I was hoping for a way to set up an installation of Windows XP on a 16GB flash drive that I have.

Not even thinking I just figured I would give it a try and I booted to my Windows XP disc and installed all of the files to the flash drive. Well needless to say it messed up my MBR and then wouldn't boot to the flash drive or to my internal hard drives anymore.

I was able to fix it by using the Windows 7 disc to repair startup but I still am not able to boot to Windows XP on the flash drive.

Is there any way to do this? I know I need to make some changes to the bootloader but I'm not sure exactly what to do. Is there a way to make it so it will automatically boot Windows 7 unless I put the flash drive in first and prompt it to as the computer starts up?

Thanks up front for any help.

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 2, 2009 4:41:23 AM

Try disconnecting all of your internal hard drives first, then set up XP on the flash drive. This way it won't mess up bootmgr. You will have to go into 7 and manually add an entry for XP later though.
December 2, 2009 4:43:52 AM

The_Prophecy said:
Try disconnecting all of your internal hard drives first, then set up XP on the flash drive. This way it won't mess up bootmgr. You will have to go into 7 and manually add an entry for XP later though.

I had thought about that, it should also work if I turned off all of my internal drives in the BIOS as well, correct? I'll have to give it a try. Do you know of any good guides on editing the bootmgr after the fact if I can get it working on the flash drive first?
m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 2, 2009 4:45:48 AM

Editing the bootmgr is normally done from the command line, but there is a program called EasyBCD which gives you a nice GUI for making changes to bootmgr on your system.
m
l
December 2, 2009 4:49:13 AM

I'll give it a try and see how it works. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know after I find the time in the next few days.
m
l
!