Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Getting Fedora/ Ubuntu to load on my HP netserver LX PRO

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
August 11, 2011 4:06:27 PM

Ok wel heres my problem. im trying to get Ubuntu / Fedora to load unto my HP netserver LX PRO. Im going to make a source server out of it. But i can't get it to boot. It keeps saying there is no BIOS then it says there is no bootable SCII device?

Is there something different that i have to do with this server? I assumed it was the same as any computer. Is there a special way to do it with a server?

From what i see physically (can't get into bios) Its four pentium pro @ 200mhz with maybe 10gb or 4gb of ram. It has a dedicated RAID card with 12x18gb SCII drives. It has a floppy and cd drive. Would this make a good Gmod or TF2 server?

Thanks for the help :) 

Best solution

a b α HP
August 11, 2011 4:39:27 PM

Your problem, I suspect, is the RAID controller. You need a Linux install disk with a kernel that has been built containing the driver for that controller. Your best bet is to find out the make and model of that controller then Google those details plus the word Linux.

You will probably also have had to set up a RAID volume before you start. Servers normally come with utility disks allowing you to do this or even a BIOS option activated by a particular key combination.
August 11, 2011 4:53:41 PM

I think that im missing the utility disk, But that makes complete since. So how would i add the driver into the kernel? or might i be able to find a kernel that already has drivers for my RAID card in it?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b α HP
August 11, 2011 5:39:15 PM

Depending upon the card, you should be able to find a distribution with a suitable kernel. Googling the particular card may provide the name of a suitable distribution. Even just Googling "Linux" + your server model may help.

You could always build a suitable kernel yourself on Linux installed on another machine, but this can be a complicated procedure if you are not used to it.

You may be able to get the utility disk from the HP website.
m
l
a b α HP
August 11, 2011 8:12:24 PM

I think what you need is Netserver Navigator. It's no longer officially available but here: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Netservers/Download-the-HP... is a link to it. (It's on the HP website, so must be OK.)

I'm not familiar with HP servers, having been an IBM user, but this looks like what you need. But you'll still have to find a Linux distro that supports your server.
m
l
August 11, 2011 8:37:20 PM

I found that but it does not say if it supports the LX edition Its worth a try though.
m
l
a b α HP
August 11, 2011 8:55:28 PM

Good luck with that. As for Linux, you might like to try SuSE or Debian. They might have out-of-the box support for more devices.
m
l
August 12, 2011 12:18:36 AM

Thanks for all the help :) 
m
l
August 12, 2011 12:18:49 AM

Best answer selected by xX_PEMDAS_Xx.
m
l
!