axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
so a few nights ago my computer froze up and when i restarted, it took about fifteen minutes to boot. been the same every since and it runs just as slowly if it actually boots all of the way up. i don't know what caused it and i don't know what to do to fix it.

here's what i officially get...

logon process has failed to create the security options dialog

x failure - security options

thanks for any help.

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
The easiest would be boot up the Vista disk & do a repair install.

You may be running low on memory/storage. Check the POST screen that you have 2 gigs+ ram. 1 gig can be laggy in Vista. Go to bios and check the size of your harddisk. May not be recognized correctly. Loading bios default may fix these.

Try disabling any and all security programs. Windows defender and any other spyware scanners and your AV program (best to disconnect from net during this short test).

You can also try a 'system restore' to a day or so before this happened. It sounds like a software issue of some sort - either a bad update or something new you installed - a system restore might correct it. You could also check your 'event viewer' and your windows update history for clues in this regard.

It could also be malware. Go to http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/Anti-Spyware/ DL the free trial. It's a powerful product and will run and full scan and clean for free.

What AV product are you using?