Light weight os

Donmige

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
hello everyone, i recently resurected an old e machines desktop that had its psu fried in a thunderstorm, i replaced the psu but now i need an os to run on it. it originaly had windows xp but it ran poorly so im looking for a light weight os preferebly linux that i can fully install on to the hard drive, i have allready tried linux puppy and it runs fine but i cannot run it fully on the hard drive, if i remove the cd it shuts off, i also tried ubuntu but it wont even install.

Solution
Swift Linux and its parent, antiX-M11-686, are my failsafe distros for almost all old PCs, including laptops. I can safely say, "It just works!"

For real, but :lol:

BTW -- any 'buntu later than 10.04.3 LTS will not install due to the fact that, starting with Meerkat, ubuntu no longer supports older PCs

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006

Aww, that's kinda sad, that was my go-to lightweight distro for people who needed a livecd, I guess I'll have to try out some new lightweight distros to see what tickles my fancy. Thanks for the info

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006

Believe you me I have have a soft spot for antiquated OS's (like my NeXTStation turbo I have that's running NeXTStep, w/ y2k patch applied, or my SGI O2 that's running IRIX 6.5), but I leave the old OS's where they belong :)