Sign in with
Your question

SLI Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
May 19, 2007 1:04:30 PM

I'm going to build myself a new SLI rig, and am stuck as to which motherboard to buy;

I don't want to spend too much so I was looking at the Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 board (650i chipset). My only concern is that it will only SLI in 2X8 speed (rather than 2X16 speed as in the 680i & 680i LT chipsets).

Can anyone tell me if this will have much of an impact on performance compared to the more expensive chipsets that I've previously mentioned.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

More about : sli motherboard

May 19, 2007 1:48:20 PM

you won't see a big performance drop
can i suggest you to look at this mobo
May 19, 2007 4:19:32 PM

Thanks for responding, I have considered this board, it is a little cheaper but it hasn't been certified by Nvidia. This probably doesn't mean anything, but I'm trying to buy all certified components.

Could you please expand on why I won't see a great performance drop, according to my logic (this may be entirely incorrect) the PCI-E slots are working at half the speed so the performance should be halved.

Also would it be viable to put 7800GTX's or similar into these slots or would it be a complete waste of the GPU's power. Should I stick to low end GPU's, 6800, 7600 etc?

Again, any help would be appreciated.
Related resources
May 19, 2007 4:42:49 PM

hmm to me SLI is a commercial gimmick
the nvidia did a nice job implementing SLI and thank you i'm still not infected
in a few benchmarks a sli configuration gets outperformed by a single powerful card
but...this is my opinion (keep the flames at minimum level please)
ok about 8x8 lanes versus 16 x16 pci lanes
i'm not that good to explain at a high tech level but look here
SLI SLI
PCI Express
about buying nvidia certified stuff..if your pocket is burning well go for it if not you will find good alternatives for your gaming buck
Quote:
Also would it be viable to put 7800GTX's or similar into these slots or would it be a complete waste of the GPU's power. Should I stick to low end GPU's, 6800, 7600 etc?

to go with these cards ..hmm in my opinion is not the best ideea only if you find those a very very good price or go with a midlow end cards like 7600 for now and upgrade later with second generation dx10 cards
May 19, 2007 4:55:23 PM

Quote:
I'm going to build myself a new SLI rig, and am stuck as to which motherboard to buy;

I don't want to spend too much so I was looking at the Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 board (650i chipset). My only concern is that it will only SLI in 2X8 speed (rather than 2X16 speed as in the 680i & 680i LT chipsets).

Can anyone tell me if this will have much of an impact on performance compared to the more expensive chipsets that I've previously mentioned.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

You will not see any performance hit.

Myself I find x-fire/sli to be a big waste of money and alot of things even run worse.

Your much better off getting RAM that can be OC'ed higher and a DFI MB (best OC'ers) than a 2nd GFX card.

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/index.php
May 19, 2007 5:03:54 PM

i don't like SLI cause it'll turn my rig in a power hungry machine more electrical power more heat more heat....more problems
i like the KEEPITSIMPLE style
May 19, 2007 5:09:28 PM

well i don't try to change your opinion about going SLI
some of our forum members posted this ...best SLi argument ...ever....
:twisted:
May 19, 2007 5:14:01 PM

I agree that SLI is overrated. You won' get double the performance of a single card. You will draw twice the power though and create twice the heat of one card. Get a good i965 mobo and the best vga that fits your budget and you will have a better performance.
For example 2X7900GS wont give you the performance of a 8800GTS (not even close), but will probably cost you more.
May 19, 2007 5:25:45 PM

If your worried about 2 x 16x and want to watch what you spend you might want to consider this, but I agree with the others that your money is much better spent on one great card rather than 2 good cards. Although down the road you might want to consider adding another card when yours is starting to show it's age, at that point you'll be happy you bought something that is SLI compatable.
May 19, 2007 5:31:44 PM

Thanks everyone,

After reading your responses It seems that SLI might not be the way to go. I'm undecided.

Quote:
Get a good i965 mobo and the best vga that fits your budget and you will have a better performance.
Quote:

What would you recommend? ATI's x1950XTX is the fastest single GPU isn't it (excluding recent DX10 cards, as I'm going to wait a bit longer before DX10 finds a home on my desktop).

I'm also quite interested in dabbling in O/Cing, is SLI a big no-no is this aspect? I'm keen to use a C2D chip, perhaps an e4300 (they're quite cheap and O/C highly from what I've heard.
May 19, 2007 5:33:15 PM

Clearly I haven't got the hang of the quote button yet.
Hey-ho.
May 19, 2007 5:43:38 PM

well an x1950 pro is a good choice for now
and for dx10 card...in my humble opinion why buying it since we don't have a real good dx10 game ?
patience is a virtue my granpa told me ,so i believe him .(he lived 9o years)
May 19, 2007 5:57:08 PM

Is StarCraft 2 direct x 10??
May 19, 2007 5:59:05 PM

Don't think so, Crysis is going to be the 1st DX10 game isn't it?
May 19, 2007 6:06:09 PM

yes it is a dx10 game
i will wait until it is released
and after is released i will consider a single powerful dx10 card
this is my humble opinion ...your's may differ
mis dos centavos
May 19, 2007 6:09:05 PM

Quote:
Is StarCraft 2 direct x 10??

frankly i don't know
will inform about
May 19, 2007 7:11:34 PM

Quote:
well an x1950 pro is a good choice for now
and for dx10 card...in my humble opinion why buying it since we don't have a real good dx10 game ?
patience is a virtue my granpa told me ,so i believe him .(he lived 9o years)

This is not a bad advice at all. X1950pro is a decent card. Nowhere near an 8800 GTS though($100 more expensive). I will have to humbly disagree with anticupidon's opinion. DX10 cards are not useless because there are no DX10 games! They are faster, more energy efficient, quieter cards than the old dogs. Of course, everything depends on what games you are playing now and what your budget is. Patience is a virtue if you don't wait forever! :lol: 

@ Buak: Get an e4300 and the gigabyte 965 ds3. It overclocks out of the box, just by changing the FSB from bios. No voltage tricks, stock cooler and all. By adjusting the FSB to 266 you get e6600's performance for half the cost!
May 19, 2007 7:15:41 PM

Quote:
Patience is a virtue if you don't wait forever!

i second that
!