Backpack or Bag for carrying Desktop PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevynev

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Hi,

I'm at uni and have to cart my desktop pc and 19" lcd screen up and down the country between terms. I was wondering if anyone knew of a backpack or carry bag solution in which I could safely carry my desktop (midi sized) and screen on my back.

Cheers
NevyNev

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
hmmh, i'll have to look into this... usually i'd just say "box 'er up and throw 'er in yer pickup truck with yer piggie," but, not everyone lives in podunk USA like me. :lol:

i assume you have to do some mass-transit-ing? like train travel? you want something convenient and protective? i'll look around a bit... i don't know if i've ever seen anything like that, though.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
alright, i didn't necessarily find what i was looking for, but i have an idea. i was looking around the 'ole intarweb, and found some inspiration:

you could probably rig up something like this or this... something with straps so you can just sling it over your back. i'm not saying "buy one of these!" because they're overpriced for what you get IMO, and you can probably make something just as good yourself...

well, if you were to make something like that, that would take care of the actual computer itself... its not really padded, but i don't think that if you were careful it would be a problem. however, your monitor does present a problem... what other kinds of luggage do you commute with?

HERSHEY

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
If you look in some military surplus stores,or online if you want new,there is the old style backpack called the ALICE pack.It has a metal frame and there is a metal cargo shelf availible for it.You can then use velco straps to secure your computer to it.

bballsk8er333

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
What kind of PC/Case do you have? the one aardvark showed is good, but probably not so much for the upgraded or modified PC's with things sticking out, ect...

and yes, the monitor is a big prob. What kind is it....

all makes the difference!

nevynev

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Thanks for info guys

I'm using trains etc. Don't want to be walking around with it on show - was looking for a kind of purpose made oversized backpack rather than making something so any other ideas?

The case is unmodded. The monitor is about 10 cm deep and a 5:4 ratio flatscreen 19" monitor so about the same size as the PC itself.

NevyNev

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
right, on your back if your using a generic ruck sack, as if it get bashed hard once it will damage,

however there are those Lanparty carry case things which support you PC problery.

Is it a gaming PC, if not maybe a laptop is more suitible.

bballsk8er333

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
An idea, why dont u take (^^^^'s) third idea and put it into a generic plain box, with a few padding insulators on the inside with it. The thermo traveling pack looks sweet, it is on his list site with the third down, or heres a D/L

Here- Thermo Backcase

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
well i don't really think that suggesting (s)he takes apart and reassembles the computer in question is a solution at all. thats a lot of work, and the OP is just looking for a simple way to safely and kinda covertly transport the computer in question.

i don't really think that you'll be able to hide what it is, however you do it. people will be able to guess that its a computer. if you do like those strap things that have been linked to, then perhaps you could wrap your computer in a blanket or cover it somehow, and then harness it in? maybe that would draw less attention. and then i still have NO idea what to do with your monitor... i can see myself throwing it in my backpack with other things, thinking i'll be careful enough and it'll survive, and then getting home and having a busted monitor :cry: . so don't do that.

...could you like borrow a monitor from a family member/friend in your hometown? i kinda doubt it... but that WOULD simplify things quite a bit.

anyway, best of luck.

nevynev

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Think that may well have to be the solution - leave monitor and use some shoddy one at home.

Thanks for all the help guys.
NevyNev

Status
Not open for further replies.