cyberman86

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
:bounce: I used to have 2gb of Ram in Vista and since start up it always used 800+ mb of Ram about 45% of Total Ram

:sol: Then i Installed 4gb of Ram and when start up, it always uses 1.3gb of Ram about 35% of Total Ram

:??: Why is it using 1.3gb now, since i Installed 4gb of Ram? is 35% of total Ram? Shouldn't be using the 800+mb that it was previously using when i had 2gb of Ram?

:pfff: So don't matter how much Ram i Installed it will always put in use almost half of the Ram? is it Truth?

Vista 64 will use all the system RAM ALL the time. Any RAM you add is accounted or 'cached' for service or use by the system. Vista uses Superfetch unlike XP's prefetch which does none of this. Sorry, I really don't know how to answer you question in a more technical manner.

Superfetch:

SuperFetch does more than caching. Windows Vistavista runs a SuperFetch service that analyzes your application behavior and usage patterns, meaning that it tracks which applications you request the most. A good example would be your activity as you start the PC in the morning: You launch Outlook to fetch email, a messenger, a web browser and probably additional applications such as a development environmenthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment . If you do this repeatedly and ideally in the same order, SuperFetch will recognize this and then proactively populate these applications into all available main memory the next time you start the PC. You should only wait for a few minutes before you commence work to give the SuperFetch service the time to "superfetch" your applications.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-vista-superfetch-and-readyboostanalyzed,1532-2.html

See Readyboost in the same article. Ready boost allows the system RAM even more cache space at faster speeds than a lesser OS would be accessing the HD for what Readyboost may already have cached in a quick flash drive.

Superfetch. The way I look at it I bought the ram to fill it up with something useful. Thats the idea behind superftech - put frequently used code in ram instead of pulling it off the HD