System slows. Virus or not?

tricky trees

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Hi there,

I'm guessing it's some sort of spyware or virus but would anyone know why occasionally my system gets slow for a minute or so and basic tasks take ages or things don't respond. In Windows task manager processes tab, explorer.exe gets the cpu reading up to 30 odd and all 4 cores go crazy. I'm not even using explorer when it does it. I've run all kinds of scans but can't find anything.
Have i got something nasty that going to require a reinstall. Any suggestions always greatly appreciated.
Sorry if i posted in the wrong place.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
I've said this many times so I'll suggest you checking whats coming in or out of your IP, Wireshark is good for this, I've seen even in my system, pep's trying to use spool to gain access. Disable netbios, disable dns client, cant really help, until You know if any IPs are sending packet INFO
You can get system internals and run file mon. There is lots to get the lag out, diag is useless until you know if your IP is sending/receiving unknowing UDP/TCP packets. If all checks out then you need to look at other things
Pagefile too small, Increase MFT, tune up windows,

TRENDING THREADS