How to uninstall Ubuntu for fresh install?

MagnetsNextToMotherboard

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
:hello: I am trying to uninstall Ubuntu because a while ago (Before the new version came out.) I could not install Ubuntu, now I would like to install the new one but first I would like to get rid of the dual boot option that comes up before getting into an operating system by uninstalling it. When I try to get into this happens (In the pictures, is the error.) :

Photobucket link to error photos: http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/j402/RomanClovenPhotos/Ubuntu/

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I would suggest using this guide and using GRUB instead of Window's ntldr as your bootloader.

In other words: just do a normal Ubuntu intall (not from wubi) and let it handle the bootloader (but first I would suggest trying to "uninstall" ubuntu from wubi such that ntldr's boot.ini is restored to it's proper state)

chamaecyparis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

gparted will allow easy partitioning
BTW, I hope a Windows Recovery disk was made and data should be backed up.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006

You don't need to delete the partition, you could just instruct the Ubuntu installation to use that partition and format it first.

If you wanted to really make sure that things are clean and prepped, you could indeed use gparted as chamaecyparis mentioned.

To remove the Linux boot option from the Windows ntldr menu:

For Vista/7: Use bootrec

For XP: Use bootcfg