japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I currently have Vista 32 (OEM) and was going to upgrade to Vista 64 (OEM). I have a Raptor 150 as my main drive, and a 700gb second HD. I was going to reformat and fresh install Vista 64 on the Raptor. Will I have any issues with the second HD? This is where I backup all my files, games, photos etc.., Will there be any conflicts? Anything I should be aware of? I will also be upgrading from 2gb to 6gb of RAM.

thanks for any help

The information on the 700GG data hard drive will readily available, just like it is now. After you install the new Vista 64 OS onto the 150GB Raptor, you will need to install any software you were using to create any files stored on the data drive. Acturally, if you install V64 on that drive with V32 already there, Vista 64 will save your files from the V32 installation and label them 'old' on the new Vista 64 installation.

There may the occasional old hardware that will not run properly on Vista 64. The harware may not have a proper driver available or have bad, outdated drivers in the first place. Like an older printer with no Vista driver. Old wireless network cards are often not supported.

Shouldn't be any issues having to do with moving from 32 to 64 - files/file systems don't care if it's 32 or 64.

With your newish system their should be no problems at all. Only now when you go look for drivers you will need to be sure to DL the 64 bit versions. All the drivers you need to get started will be auto loaded from the install DVD.

You might need to go into BIOS and enable 'memory remapping' to get all your ram recognized - I'm not sure how that model MOBO handles this. But if you don't see all six gig recognized by both BIOS and the OS look for that 'memory remapping' setting in BIOS and turn it on.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes.