DirectX 10 on Winxp all screwed up.

b1wdza46

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
I installed a version of DirectX 10 that's supposed to work on XP and now i can't play anything. I tried unintalling directx only met with failure. anyone ever tried this or know how to fix it without reinstalling the OS?

thank you.

There is no version of DX10 for XP.

There is a hack, though, where a couple guys tried to create a bridge that mapped DX10 API calls into DX9. There was an awful lot of talk about it at one time. Unfortunately, that's no longer being developed or supported, and has been "donated' to the community". Depending on where you stand on the issue, that either translates to "someone else will make it work and screw MSFT", or perhaps "failed and bailed". Personally, I don't care either way... But rather as a matter of security don't knowingly download hacked anything off of the web.

Regarding removing it - I thought there were instructions on the developer's site to do that. In general, though DX isnt' something that normally gets installed and uninstalled. I don't know if you would have to do a complete reinstall. Perhaps a Repair Installation from your XP CD.

You can also try re-installing the runtime directly: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

b1wdza46

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
i get an error message when trying to install. it says it can't find my current version so it can't install a new one.

does anyone have a pic of the registry value for directx. I can just type it the value that it was for directx 8 and trick the system into installing it..

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
another victem of a bad bad idea, I did this, so has a few of my buddies in a forum. I cannot remember what I did to fix the bs it may have been a restore or a complete format. Give randomizer a pm and ask him. Randomizer and I both tried this and I think he did a format and me the restore.
O-YA rando I'm more random than you are skin the cat feed the dogs