pahleeze

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
Please accept my apology if I'm in the wrong area.
I turned on my computer yesterday morning and it was making an odd noise. I knew the noise would be gone by the time I got someone on the phone to hear it so I decided to record the sound, put it on a memory card, put the memory card in my media card reader and received an error saying it malfunctioned. I contacted my support team (please forgive me for not saying the name of the manufacturer of my system) I told the tech that when I went into computer it only showed my c drive and my two cd rom drives. He had me check a few things and then told me I had to update my BIOS. I told him I had just done that but because it was A04 and A06 was out he wanted me to do this. Ok, so I did while he was on the phone. The computer was restarted and before it got to windows desk top this is what I got: BSOD Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer. STOP: 0x0000007B(0x80399BBO, oxC0000034, 0x00000000, ox00000000)
After we updated the BIOS and the BSOD came up he had me go in and put the BIOS back to factory default settings.
Well, I have no computer and a motherboard is being sent next week. How does a computer go from working fine except for the media card reader not working to a BSOD and motherboard needing to be replaced? I have Trend Micro Security for all of that stuff and it just scanned for everything the night before. I don't keep my internet connection connected constantly and I seldom actually go on the internet. I find it coincidental that this happened after downloading and updating the BIOS. Is there someone out there who would be kind enough to explain this to me?

Is there someone out there who would be kind enough to explain this to me?

Which operating system are you using? Apparently you were on the phone with tech support and eventually the tech walked you through an update to the BIOS on your prebuilt system? In the end, tech support is sending you a new MB? They bricked your BIOS chip on your MB. The BIOS flash went bad and a new MB is necessary to remedy your now useless system. What did tech support say about having the MB installed? Are you going to install the new MB?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

pahleeze

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
Thank you for responding.
I am so sorry :) I have Vista. Yes, the tech was on the phone the entire time. Please, what do you mean "bricked"? By the time the tech told me I needed a new motherboard I was extremely stressed and told him he broke my computer. Later I wondered if I was wrong in saying that but it sure was a huge coincidence that it happened after he had me update the BIOS. As for installing the MB a technician is coming out to my house to replace it and will be bringing another media card reader (saying this with sarcasm >in case it needs to be replaced. Again thank you for replying.

Bricked means damaged beyond repair, you MB is as useless as a brick. The BIOS chip on your MB was rendered useless by a faulty attempt to program that chip's software instructions. It happens. When it does, it can cause the MB to be rendered useless. So, the company you purchased the system from is sending someone to install the new motherboard, that's about as good as it gets under those circumstances.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/BIOS.html