BSOD during Vista 64-bit install

lcrakel

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Whenever I try to install Vista, I get a BSOD. I am getting two different errors too. I get "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA." These errors usually pop up when it is in the "expanding files" part of this Vista installation. Searching around these errors are usually pop up with bad drivers/hardware or bad memory. I have ran memtest and switched with RAM that I know for sure works but I still get blue screens. Here is all the hardware in the computer.

ASUS P45 P5Q Deluxe
Q9550
G.Skill DDR2 1066 4GB
Sapphire 4870 1GB
Seagate 640 GB
ASUS DVD-RW
Corsair

I have swapped with working RAM, hard drive, and optical drive so I don't think they are the issue. I also only have 1 stick of memory in (2GB). I think that there is an issue with the motherboard. The only other thing I haven't tried is to swap the video card with a know working one. Any one have any suggestions?

UPDATE: I tried installing XP. The first and second try I got BSOD. I eventually got installed though. Then I tried to install Vista onto a different partition. I got another BSOD with a new error. "Memory_Management" This once again points to faulty memory.

If you're running into issues on install, first you want to strip down to the bare necessities to eliminate as much as you can - PSU, Mobo, 1 stick of RAM, HDD, and1 optical drive. Please disconnect any/everything else.

The error you are giving us usually indicates a memory issue - Ensure all voltages and timings are set per the maker's recommendations. 1066 RAM is basically 'Factory Guaranteed Overclockable' - So check the maker's site for the standard (DDR2 800) settings and use those for the time being. Once you are installed and stable, then you can go back and change to the faster settings.

Have you tried removing a stick of RAM? i.e. install with 2GB?

Do you have the most up to date Bios for your board?? (Meaning obtained directly from the maker - Not the one on the disc that came in the box)

lcrakel

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
I tried memory that I know for sure works and is on the QVL for the motherboard. I used standard DDR2 800 settings, still blue screen. The first time I tried though, it made it half way through the expanding files, and then it just stopped and went back to the first screen on the vista disc. No errors or anything, it just restarted. Auscanzukus, this is Vista 64 bit SP1.

Knighthis

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2004
I had the same BSOD issue a few weeks ago when I installed Vista 64bit on a new V Raptor HD.

After a few attempts with the same results, I suspected I had a bad HD, RAM or MB, although everything but the HD was older and well used without any issues with my 32bit install.

I ended up speaking to an ASUS tech and he recommended flashing my bios to the latest. I realized I had not updated for some time and was about five new bios versions behind.

I also removed my 4 gigs of G. Skill RAM and replaced with my older 2 gigs of Corsair Dominator.

This all worked and I installed 64bit with no issues.

Funny thing was I was able to replace the 4 gigs of G. Skill and then later add back the 2 gigs of Corsair and its all working great. OS sees 6 gigs. The G. Skill is 800 and the Corsair is 1066, but it all runs at 800.

davidm671

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
My board, the Abit IN932X, will give me the same exact Vista BSOD error message on first boot. In my case it was a memory size compatibility problem with the Vista software such that I had to unplug a stick of ram to get it to work, then run a patch, and plug the ram back in. Since then I found a SP1 Vista 64 iso release that does not have that bug and I can install with out problems. Not sure if that can help,

Dave.