Sign in with
Your question

How do you make a bootable DVD of Vista x64 trial?

Last response: in Windows Vista
October 6, 2008 8:21:24 PM

I have been struggling with this all weekend I downloaded all the vista files, but when I burn them it only makes a data DVD that is not bootable. How do I make this into a bootable DVD? I have magic iso, but it doesn't seem to work with my DVD drive at all. Is there another program? How would I do it? Below is a list of the files I have. None of the folders contain iso files. They all equal about 4GB. The setup won't work because I'm using a 32-bit OS right now. How do I make a bootable DVD of this?

BOOT (Folder)
EFI (Folder)
SOURCES (Folder)
SUPPORT (Folder)
UPGRADE (Folder)
AUTORUN (Setup Information)
BOOTMGR (File)
BOOTMGR.EFI (EFI file)
SETUP (Application)
October 7, 2008 12:21:54 AM

I have a windows vista 32-bit disc that I can't get to do anything but load windows. I wish I had a 64-bit disc like this. I also have a "Hiren's Boot CD" that a friend gave me once. I'll try that.
m
l
Related resources
October 7, 2008 12:44:38 AM

Well, Hiren's Boot CD was a huge collection of diagnostic tools, system tools, and configuration tools. But it has nothing that can help me install vista 64-bit. I'll try the Ultimate Boot CD that you mentioned above.
m
l
October 7, 2008 1:02:51 AM

Dougx1317 said:
Well, Hiren's Boot CD was a huge collection of diagnostic tools, system tools, and configuration tools. But it has nothing that can help me install vista 64-bit. I'll try the Ultimate Boot CD that you mentioned above.

Hirens is better LOL. The trick is to boot into it and run some sort of program that will back out to a command prompt and then switch disks and navigate to the drive letter of the dvd drive and run setup manually.
m
l
October 7, 2008 1:22:00 AM

What sort of program would that be? I messed around a bit and only found tools. After looking at a list on the hiren's website, I don't see anything that looks like it would help me. What would you suggest?

Another thing I should note, this is on my laptop that only has one optical drive. I have all of the files on my internal hard drive and an external hard drive. Will I be able to use the setup file from there?
m
l
October 7, 2008 1:31:04 AM

I poked around a little in hirens but unfortunately I have an external usb drive and I couldn't get it properly loaded. I was using a version of dos I found in the 'more' section of hirens.

My idea was to burn your downloaded files to a dvd and then boot from hirens, load drivers for the dvd drive and then switch disks while dos was still running. I have no idea if this will work - my skills in this area are pretty crude. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

If I can dig anything up I'll report back.
m
l
!