Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Vista doesn't recognize my external USB drive

Last response: in Windows Vista
October 7, 2008 10:23:40 PM

But it's a little more compicated than that. I'm hooking up an IDE drive. I'm using one of those external USB kits - it's a usb to IDE cable and a power supply for the drive. It works great in XP, shows right up in 'my computer' and I got some files off it. It's formatted NTFS and worked in this same PC as an internal drive. Vista (my vista 32 laptop and my 64 bit machine) loads up some drivers and tells me it's ready to use a 'usb mass storage device' but it does not show up in 'my computer'. It shows up in device manager under disk drives, usb drive and is 'working correctly and it shows up in 'computer management' where it tells me the drive has not been 'initialized' but it can't initialize it.

It's kind of an off brand, creative i/o, couldn't find any support on-line. The direction say it wotks in Vista, no drivers needed in XP or Vista, and trying to update driver in device manage it tells me I have best driver already.

Any ideas?
October 8, 2008 12:02:08 AM

Perhaps the device is corrupting to the extent it is not recognized 'properly'. Properly meaning not showing up in My Computer. Vista is recofnizing it, or incorrectly recognizing it (confliction) as something other than what it should be displayed as. Driver conflict sort of thing. I had that happen with a wireless notebook adapter. Machine reecognized it with some other system driver on startup. As soon as desktop loaded, all I had to do was unplug it then plug it back in and windows would find recognize it correctly and install the proper driver then and only then. It worked as advertised. Have you tried going in to Safe Mode and then plugging it in?
Score
October 8, 2008 12:12:32 AM

I think I may be on to something. XP had previously had it working but when I just now put it back on the XP machine XP says it is 'uninitialized' - just like Vista said too, so, something happened to it, I guess, maybe in this external hookup attempt the data was corrupted - anyway XP at least offered to partition and format it so I'll see if that works. I didn't care about the data on it thankfully.

Thanks badge.
Score
Related resources
October 13, 2008 8:31:24 PM

I have a similar device at work... at it works fine with Vista. Comes in really handy when you have a customer machine with a hosed Windows install and you need to back up their data before reloading it.
Score
October 14, 2008 1:51:45 AM

Oddly I just got a maxtor one touch4 and am getting much the same results.
In disk management it recognizes the disk as disk 1 (0 being the main drive)
and not initialized .
It does got on to say that it is write protected.
Im not certain in your case if this is the prob and mine is a USB only setup but
strangely XP missed it and Vista found it and installed drivers.
perhaps we could help each other.

The one thing that I have found is that maxtor will sell me the driver to perhaps reset the drive, Im not sure yet and maybe yours would do the same.
Possibly you are running into the same problem or maybe you can send me in the right direction.
Score
October 14, 2008 1:53:18 AM

and not initialized .
Im not certain in your case if this is the prob and mine is a USB only setup but

The one thing that I have found is that maxtor will sell me the driver to perhaps reset the drive, Im not sure yet and maybe yours would do the same.
Possibly you are running into the same problem or maybe you can send me in the right direction.

oops sorry double post
Score
April 23, 2009 12:07:47 AM

Did you find a way how to resolve this issue? I have the same problem with my HD and Vista ;((((
Score
April 28, 2009 3:31:41 AM

My XP toshiba laptop died from a water spill and I bought a case for it . But my other laptop HP with vista wount recognize it . So I need a driver for vista I guess. DL
Score
Anonymous
May 3, 2009 3:17:55 PM

I have exactly the same problem with my Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus on vista.
It worked fine but now is not listed on My Computer only Computer and Device Manager.

Any ideas anyone??
Score
Anonymous
May 3, 2009 3:21:13 PM

pat mcgroin said:
and not initialized .

oops sorry double post

I have exactly the same problem as you with my Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus on vista.
It worked fine but now is not listed on My Computer only Computer and Device Manager.

Any ideas?? i would like to save the data on the disk.
RK
Score
May 4, 2009 3:26:48 PM

Sorry to say I cant offer any more advice on this.
I RMAd mine and got a new one.
Score
June 13, 2009 6:19:11 PM

I have similar situation - an old Maxtor 80gig NTFS in an external case and it worked working just fine on Vista for over a year, and still works on XP...so I think it's got something to do with Vista's security even though I didn't change anything - it stopped working after a windows update. Now nothing I do can get it working in Vista...but I can still access it over the network if I connect it to the XP machine ...WTF? If something were corrupted wouldn't it NOT work either place? If someone finds a solution I would love to hear about it.
Score
June 14, 2009 7:45:03 PM

What updates did you get and did it happen at the same time?
You may have your answer.
Score
June 16, 2009 9:14:04 PM

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem. Last Thursday (11th June 2009) I was able to use my computer (vista SP2) fine. My usb pen drive worked fine. Something since then has changed because now the only way i can view my usb drives is through disk management. They worked fine before that date and continue to work on other systems.

I've tried assigning a disk letter but they still refuse to show in My Computer. The information is accessible via exploring whilst in disk management. The only way to make them appear stable in my computer is to create a folder on the C drive and assign the disks a folder on the C drive through which they can be accessed. Any news of this being a common problem?
Score
June 20, 2009 5:06:12 PM

WeirdoBeardo said:
Hi,

I'm having a similar problem. Last Thursday (11th June 2009) I was able to use my computer (vista SP2) fine. My usb pen drive worked fine. Something since then has changed because now the only way i can view my usb drives is through disk management. They worked fine before that date and continue to work on other systems.

I've tried assigning a disk letter but they still refuse to show in My Computer. The information is accessible via exploring whilst in disk management. The only way to make them appear stable in my computer is to create a folder on the C drive and assign the disks a folder on the C drive through which they can be accessed. Any news of this being a common problem?

Yes exact same problem. I have tried it with a 3.5 IDE, a 2.5 IDE and a 2.5 SATA. I have also tried it on 3 different compys w/ 3 different OS's. The 3.5 IDE works fine. I can't get and 2.5 drives to initialize/recognize.
Score
June 20, 2009 5:17:27 PM

Update: found this info... check it out
Score
June 21, 2009 1:43:30 AM

I have 3 different external USB 2.0 HDD enclosures, a Manhattan, a Nexxtech, and a No Brand Name aluminum enclosure, all three are running Western Digital HDDs, and all three work and transfer problem free in Vista 32bit.

My machine is up to date as far as Windows Updates are concerned, so could this be a hardware problem possibly?

I noticed a few maxtor drives mentioned, remember the Seagate 7200.10 series issues, it could very well be hardware related?

Just a suggestion.
Score
June 21, 2009 8:21:47 PM

Could be. The 3.5 IDE that works fine is a Hitachi. The 2.5 IDE that doesn't is a Seagate. The SATA that isn't working either is a WD though.
Score
June 23, 2009 2:13:25 AM

faithlocket said:
The SATA that isn't working either is a WD though.

Oh well, so much for my theory.
Score
July 16, 2009 9:34:43 PM

Sometimes when people think 2 much they overlook the simplest anwsers. In vista disk management, when it says the disk is not initialized there will be a little red arrow on the disk icon on the left of the unallocated space. Right click on the little red arrow and select initialize disk. After you do this, then go ahead and format the disk how you want it.
Thanks
xinuse
Score
July 18, 2009 4:40:44 PM

hi guys, I am using a WD usb HDD which I on my worst hr, drooped ..... and now VISTA/ubuntu is not able to mount it. I see a not initialised disk on the disk magmt window. When I try to initialize it gives me two options MBR and GPT and on selecting either one I get an error ......... i tried most of the free recovery agents but couldnt get it working.... please help...
Score
Anonymous
August 2, 2009 9:31:36 PM

I have the same problem.
My computer broke and i have removed my hard-drives to retrive my files to put on my new PC. the previous one was XP the new one is Vista. I have purchased a caddy to transfer the files, hoever i can get through the admin tools etc.. and i right click to initialise the drive but it tells me that the device is not ready, no matter what i do the same problem. I have even tried another of my hard-drives and it tells me the same. Any clues ????????????????????????
Score
August 3, 2009 2:41:37 PM

I sometimes have that happen.
Try to plug the usb in after the computer is on and vice versa and see if it helps.
Score
August 4, 2009 1:53:15 PM

Sorry to tell you guys but this problem is COMMON with Vista 64 bit. Yet another example of the extremely poor driver management in 64bit Vista (thx MS).

I got external drives to work for a while to work for a while by unchecking the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option in the device manager for USB Hub Properties, Power Management Tab.

That's not helping now.

There's also a suggestion that the C:\Windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 file may be corrupted and need to be replaced (either restore a previous version or just delete it and try connecting again). Ibelieve Vista recreates this file every bootup?

That has'nt worked for me either though :( .

I will keep investigating until I find a fix but I can't count the number of similar sytle problems with Vistax64 and external devices (usb drives, printers) that have been around for over a year and for Microsoft provides no fix.

If Vistax64 were a car it would have been recalled by now as unfit for use, yet Microsoft do nothing :( 
Score
August 8, 2009 5:52:57 PM

faithlocket said:
Yes exact same problem. I have tried it with a 3.5 IDE, a 2.5 IDE and a 2.5 SATA. I have also tried it on 3 different compys w/ 3 different OS's. The 3.5 IDE works fine. I can't get and 2.5 drives to initialize/recognize.

I have Seagate mobile HDD in a USB-IDE enclosure. I had similar problem. Vista Home Premium seemed to detect it when plugged to the PC's front USB connector. HDD did not actually show up.

I checked Seagate for support. Seagate advised to attached mobile HDD to USB connector at the back of the PC. I followed the suggestion. It worked.

I hope this can work for your case also.

JQBantug
Score
August 18, 2009 5:20:22 AM

Apologies if this posts twice but my 1st attempt appeared to vanish.

It appears this problem is not OS related OR due to faulty device drivers - though it does appear to be most common with Vista it does happen with other OS (e.g. 32 bit XP).

There IS an effective workaround (not a permanent fix) - which involves a complete shutdown AND disconnecting power AND disconnecting battery (if laptop) for 30 minutes (I suspect you could do it for less time).

It appears the problem relates to the motherboard losing its ability to properly read the USB hub (I suspect this is a power management/load issue). This is most likely caused by an external event (like a power drop or pulling in a new device). The above "reboots" the motherboard.

Others have reported a fix due to completely uninstalling all USB devices and the main hub and then re-installing. Though some have said this didn't work (I suspect for those that did it may be due to the power down they would have done in the middle).

IF this is what is going on (issue has been reported for years) then it suggests motherboard design not up to scratch for more complex/power demanding OS - but this is just conjecture.

Regardless try this workaround. Has worked for me twice and is simple.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/usb-devic...

Score
September 25, 2009 4:29:03 AM

Thank you Xinuse for this tip. It worked!
Score
October 10, 2009 3:06:51 AM

I got an IDE 2.5 and it has the same problem, I can see the volume in the Disk management but can't initialize it. It can be seen in XP even browsing the the whole HD and formatting it in NTFS. Has any of you has a work around in Vista.
Score
Anonymous
November 13, 2009 7:48:24 PM

I have an external HDD connected via an USB to IDE/SATA kit. One USB wire and a power suply.
I have windows VISTA Home Premium.

For the first couple of times my external disk showed up in VISTA but lately it can´t be recognized.
(all the time it showed up in XP).
In VISTA diskmanager said "not initialized" and when I tried to initialize (right click) I got the answer:
"device not ready".

When lisening to the drive - it was VERY silent - like not rotating. Is this the reason "not ready"?

But if I FIRST connect the power cable and THEN the IDE-USB I hear the rotation sound. Now I can connect the USB into the notebook and the drive is recognized by VISTA.

It seems I first have to unplug the IDE connector from the external HDD and then insert it again. This activates my HDD.

Try this!!
Score
November 29, 2009 8:18:31 PM

WILL THERE EEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRR (EVER) BE A SOLUTION FOUND TO THIS PROBLEM?

I have spent so many hours (weeks) reading post after post after post that lead to nothing but dead ends.

What is the fix to this ridiculous problem??????
Score
Anonymous
December 20, 2009 11:21:21 PM

I had the exact same problem and I seem to have a fix that works for me.
I was using a USB to SATA adapter to transfer data from two old hard disks and Vista would'nt recognize either. I could see them as "Disk 1" in "Disk Management" but it said the drive was not initialized. Right-clicking to initialize the disk gave a message "the device is not ready".

I found out my problem was a loose SATA power connector that would cause the disk to spin in the beginning so it was recognized by Vista but subsequently did not deliver power to the disk continuously. It worked when I wiggled the connect a bit. Now the disk shows up as a regular external USB drive.

Hope this helps.
Score
Anonymous
December 23, 2009 12:54:47 PM

I plugged a new Verbatim drive into my Vista computer, and saw the little prompt that said the device was ready for use, but couldn't see the drive in My Computer. After flailing around about and seeing references in this thread to Disk Management in Vista (I wasn't sure where to find that), this solved my problem:

I went to Control Panel, Device Manager, and double-clicked on Disk Drives. My drive appeared on the list, so I double-clicked on it. I clicked on the Volumes tab, and then clicked the Populate button. My new hard drive drive then appeared in My Computer.

Hope this helps someone else!
Score
December 25, 2009 3:07:29 PM

Hello Microsoft!!!! Anyone Home....

Problem solved
Take your HD to a windows XP machine. Plug it in and go to Disk Management. Right click - My Computer - Select Manage - Click Disk Management. It will find your drive and bring up a wizzard that you can follow. Then after format is done, right click unallocated dirve and make it active....

Here is what I dont understand? Why can we do this in XP but not Vista?????
Score
Anonymous
January 5, 2010 4:52:06 PM

Actually i got the same problem on 3.0 then unplug it from 3.0 and plugged it to 2.0. Now it works fine. I think this is not the Vista problem itself but the driver. Driver is compatible with 2.0.
Score
January 7, 2010 3:57:24 AM

I think I found the problem to this.

I went to control panel/administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk management

I found the hard drive and right click and open "change drive letter and path" and assigned it a letter

That's it.

I thought that I would share that because it was a nightmare to find the solution.
Score
January 24, 2010 3:01:07 AM

I have a similar problem, but it may be slightly different.

I have a few old HP Vectra machines that run Windows 3.1 and I want to move the files to my new laptop to save them before recycling the old PC's. I don't want to spend the hours to store the files on floppy disks, then move them to an old XP laptop that has a floppy drive, then burn to CD on the old laptop then move to the new laptop...........

I do have one of those external USB kits - a usb to IDE cable and a power supply for the drive. The USB kit appears to work fine. The drive spins when powered up, but Vista does not recognize the drive and can't see any folders or data.

Diskmanagement can see the disk, calls it "Disk 1" but says the disk is "unknown" "unreadable"

ComputerManagement/DeviceManager/DiskDrives appears to see the disk as a "USB Device" and the device properties say that it is working properly but it does not recognize any volume or any other details - not even the size of the disk.

Is there a driver that I can load or some other way that I can read these disk drives in vista so I can move the files I want to save to my laptop?

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.
Score
January 28, 2010 3:35:54 AM

Mark Harrigan said:
Sorry to tell you guys but this problem is COMMON with Vista 64 bit. Yet another example of the extremely poor driver management in 64bit Vista (thx MS).

I got external drives to work for a while to work for a while by unchecking the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option in the device manager for USB Hub Properties, Power Management Tab.

That's not helping now.

There's also a suggestion that the C:\Windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 file may be corrupted and need to be replaced (either restore a previous version or just delete it and try connecting again). Ibelieve Vista recreates this file every bootup?

That has'nt worked for me either though :( .

I will keep investigating until I find a fix but I can't count the number of similar sytle problems with Vistax64 and external devices (usb drives, printers) that have been around for over a year and for Microsoft provides no fix.

If Vistax64 were a car it would have been recalled by now as unfit for use, yet Microsoft do nothing :( 

This particular post lead me to an answer. I suspected a power problem, and indeed my kit was plugged into an unpowered hub. The disk spun up and showed as "Not Initialized" in Disk Management. I clicked "Initialize" and received a "Drive Not Ready" error. That was probably a good thing because I didn't want to format the drive, I wanted to read some files that were on there.

In any event, plugging it out of the hub and plugging it directly into a USB port on the computer case worked for me. By the way, I had this problem even thought the USB kit had a power supply that plugged from the wall into the drive - however the USB wire from the computer to the drive could have still been weak I suppose ?

Anyway, good luck !
Score
January 30, 2010 6:08:10 PM

Hi folks, thanks for all the great suggestions. I solved my problem after following Anonymous's advice just above.

My symptoms: vista 64 desktop wouldn'lt recognize an external 2.5" drive I'd used many times to transfer multi GB of image files from laptop to desktop. ..some of the other solutions didn't work. I have Vista 64 sp 2 now on both laptop and desktop machines.

Anyway, like many above, external USB 2.5" drive would show up in Disk Management but not in My Computer.

Here's how I got it working: I went into Device Manager, but my drive wasn't listed under Disk Drives...however, down below, there was an alarm (yellow ! mark) under "other devices". I figured that had to be the drive. I right clicked on it as I recall, it offered me the choice to install a driver (by searching the internet), I clicked on that, it found and installed a driver, and bingo, my drive appeared in the disk drives list and in My Computer. I'm now transferring files from it to my desktop.

I notice the drive is FAT 32. Once I've transferred, I'll reformat as NTFS, I used to use this drive on an older machine I guess.

Maybe FAT 32 is part of the problem, hell, who knows with Vista. But it's now working, and I'll know next time from everybody's troubles to try everything I can think of, and thanks again for the help.

Score
February 3, 2010 9:48:00 PM

Docaz had it right above, at least for my computer. Assign the drive a letter of your choice and it should show up. My problem happened shortly after using Magic Disk as it had assigned the virtual drive the same letter as my maxtor one touch 3. I changed the maxtor to show G and now it's all good. Thanks to everyone on here for your help!
Score
February 20, 2010 11:50:56 AM

okay i have a peculiar problem as well, i'll intro with that.

as happy and motivated as i am to post this i am actually pretty much enraged inside.

i did a pseudo-install [yeah i made that up since there is no option of that matter, only clean or upgrade] of vista

and i shouldn't have overlooked it but i left my acomdata 160gb external plugged in the usb.

as soon as i got vista up and running again this is where i had problems.

the hd itself gets recognized under safely remove hardware with proper name and all. it does however, not show up on my computer or under the device listings to assign/change drive letters.

another thing to mention is it works fine on my mother's laptop and no files are corrupted.

i am in the process of just taking everything off it and temporarily storing it somewhere else so i can possibly punch this, pardon my language, piece of a *** *** and take some anger out then reformat it and place all the files back in.

i would just like to know if anyone else has has this problem and found a way to resolve it.

and nope, reassigning the letter doesn't fix it, i was hoping it would as i had conflict issues before where that was the solution.
Score
February 23, 2010 8:04:02 PM

I have a Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus with a lot of information saved on it. My old laptop crashed (Vista) and my new one is running Windows 7. I'm pretty computer illiterate. I see the drive in Disk Manager, but not My Computer. I am afraid if I initialize the disk, I could lose what I have saved...simply because I have no clue. Is this true? I don't want to lose my files....but I don't know how else to pull them off??? What other options do I have?
Score
March 11, 2010 7:07:56 AM

docaz said:

I went to control panel/administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk management

I found the hard drive and right click and open "change drive letter and path" and assigned it a letter

That's it.

I thought that I would share that because it was a nightmare to find the solution.

Thank you worked a treat.

EVP
Score
March 13, 2010 8:33:00 PM

I'm still nowhere with this stupd problem. I have a Vista laptop, and the USB drive shows up properly in Device manager, and while it's not listed under 'Computer' , when you right click on one of the other drives under 'Computer' then go to Properties>Hardware , it's there.

But whatever I do, I can't make it show up. I can't go and reformat, there's too much stuff on this drive, but it's looking like it's useless on Vista.

Anyone else have an idea for my situation?

Score
March 14, 2010 11:42:26 AM

docaz said:

That's it.

Problem solved. My Toshiba 3,5" 1,5TB USB drive is now visible and active. Thank you very much, sir!
Score
March 22, 2010 6:07:50 AM

Okay, I'm seriously freaking out. I backed up all my files before my comp was resetted a while ago.
I thought about finally updating all my music and putting it in itunes. I've been using it all day fine. Not long ago, while listening to songs I realized that some songs weren't being played, so I checked to see my external hardrive and thats when I realized that all the documents I had previously backed up were gone! the only folders left were this new "music' folder I had with new music I have just gotten, but all the main files and folders with all the information from my old computer was gone. When I checked the memory, it showed as before (almost full). I unplugged it, thinking it would help, but now after plugging it numerous times and even turning off the comp and all, it fails to even read it. The light turns on in maxtor, and it makes a noise when i connect it, but other than that nothing! It doesn't even show under disk management
I am seriously freaking out, I could care less about the music, I just want my pictures back :( 
Help!!
Score
March 24, 2010 4:26:48 AM

I run a simple mail in recovery service and would be happy to take a look at your drive. HappyDataRecovery.com

ruth_marie86 said:
Okay, I'm seriously freaking out. I backed up all my files before my comp was resetted a while ago.
I thought about finally updating all my music and putting it in itunes. I've been using it all day fine. Not long ago, while listening to songs I realized that some songs weren't being played, so I checked to see my external hardrive and thats when I realized that all the documents I had previously backed up were gone! the only folders left were this new "music' folder I had with new music I have just gotten, but all the main files and folders with all the information from my old computer was gone. When I checked the memory, it showed as before (almost full). I unplugged it, thinking it would help, but now after plugging it numerous times and even turning off the comp and all, it fails to even read it. The light turns on in maxtor, and it makes a noise when i connect it, but other than that nothing! It doesn't even show under disk management
I am seriously freaking out, I could care less about the music, I just want my pictures back :( 
Help!!

Score
March 31, 2010 5:34:29 PM

docaz said:

That's it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Well, here this thread is, months down the road, and I imagine there are a lot of people like me, who have looked over these posts and still haven't resolved the problem.

As a foreword, I never used Vista -- a few weeks ago, I went straight from Win XP Pro to Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

My experience is very similar -- I have two older HDDs from which I want to offload data before mothballing them. I tried an Apricorn IDE-to-USB adaptor kit ... I couldn't get anywhere with it. Thinking the kit might be defective, I traded it in for a similar kit from Vantech, which has come highly recommended -- users say it works flawlessly.
However, when I hook everything up, my system still does NOT see the HDD -- at least, it does not show up in My Computer, Windows Explorer, etc.

When I bring up Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management, it does not show on the colored "charts," but Disk Management does give me a message “You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it.”

Below that, in the same window, it says “Select Disk(s),” with only a “Disk 3” listed. It gives me the choice of selecting a partition style of either MBR or GPT (GUID Partition Table) ….. I tried selecting both – neither selection results in anything productive. I merely get a smaller message window saying “Device is not ready.”

There is nothing available by “right-clicking,” and since the “mystery drive” is not shown on the Disk Management graphical chart or anything, I have no way to try changing the drive letter.

NOTE: I have had the HDD jumpered (i.e. no jumper) to Slave from the very beginning of this frustrating adventure. Also, the USB plug on the adaptor kit has always been plugged directly into the PC, not on a USB hub.

I also tried connecting the HDD directly into the IDE port on the motherboard, with no better result -- that doesn't seem to bode well :(  The thing is, this IDE HDD was working just fine when I was using Win XP Pro .... and now it won't even appear using a ribbon cable to the IDE port ??

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input ....

Dave G. in northern VA
Score
April 22, 2010 3:10:12 AM

Hi all,

Battled this for a few hours, then came across this post. Had a similar scenario as already described: sata hard drive (3.5) hooked up via usb adapter. device manager saw it, but disk management said the device wasn't initialized and when i tried to initialize it i got a "device not ready" message.

I tried many of things in this post. What helped me was a post from noblablabla. to reiterate what worked for me:

turn on power to the HDD. Hopefully you'll hear/feel it spin. While it is clearly "on"and spinning, plug the usb cable in (sorry, i didn't try the USB hub, i just went straight to the back of the PC). So long as it was running when i plugged it into windows, windows found it, initialized it, and I had a working USB drive.

Hope this helps someone.

Score
Anonymous
April 27, 2010 6:43:18 PM

I had the same problem, tried all the forums, no joy. What solved it for me, now don't laugh but I was plugging the ide adapter into the hard drive upside down turned it around and it recognised the hdd straight away. Hope this helps.
Score
Anonymous
May 8, 2010 2:37:16 PM

Quote:
I had the exact same problem and I seem to have a fix that works for me.
I was using a USB to SATA adapter to transfer data from two old hard disks and Vista would'nt recognize either. I could see them as "Disk 1" in "Disk Management" but it said the drive was not initialized. Right-clicking to initialize the disk gave a message "the device is not ready".

I found out my problem was a loose SATA power connector that would cause the disk to spin in the beginning so it was recognized by Vista but subsequently did not deliver power to the disk continuously. It worked when I wiggled the connect a bit. Now the disk shows up as a regular external USB drive.

Hope this helps.

Thanks dude! Spent 3 days looking for solution. Guess what, the power cord connected to supply was not plugged in. It appeared to be connected and absolutely did not give any indication that power was not in. I wish this damn thing had power LED!

step 1: if you see the "safely remove hardware" icon, go ahead and stop the USB device.
step 2: unplug the USB cable
step 3: remove the power cord, make sure the connector is all the way into the power supply unit and the power connector is firmly fixed to hard drive (you should hear the spinning sound from your external HD)
step 4: make sure the IDE/SATA connector is properly fixed, some IDE connectors have offset, if you use the connector edge as reference, one set of pins will be left out, make sure no pins are left out.
step 5: plug in the usb connector to your pc

after few seconds you should see Autoplay popup, if not refresh your explorer.
Score
!