Sign in with
Your question

File Record Segment xxx is Unreadable. Please help

Last response: in Storage
May 19, 2007 7:57:30 PM

For about the past three weeks my computer has been having all sorts of problems. I have been getting BSOD randomly and the computer will lock up alot.
At first i thought it was a driver issue or something but they i reinstalled every driver and im still having problems.
This morning i ran scan disk and it came back with the error "FILE RECORD SEGMENT 32806 IS UNREADABLE" This is on my 36gb Raptor that has my OS on it. My question is if i format my drive and reinstall windows will i be all set, or should i get a new harddrive thought WD with my warrenty.

Thanks for your help in advance!!
May 19, 2007 9:10:31 PM

anyone?
May 20, 2007 11:20:37 PM

First I'd run the diagnostic/repair software for the hdd This may fix the error, if not, likely you will have to RMA the drive. You could try doing a clean, i.e., full format, install of Windows, which might fix but I don't think Windows itself would cause a hdd error. Doing a full format might solve but I would definitely start with the hdd mfg software
Related resources
May 23, 2007 11:16:29 PM

Go get a cd called hiren's boot cd from the net. It has MHDD and HD Regenerator which will try to repair bad sectors on your hard drive. Once you do that move your data quickly do another drive. Best of luck
May 25, 2007 2:52:08 AM

Quote:
For about the past three weeks my computer has been having all sorts of problems. I have been getting BSOD randomly and the computer will lock up alot.
At first i thought it was a driver issue or something but they i reinstalled every driver and im still having problems.
This morning i ran scan disk and it came back with the error "FILE RECORD SEGMENT 32806 IS UNREADABLE" This is on my 36gb Raptor that has my OS on it. My question is if i format my drive and reinstall windows will i be all set, or should i get a new harddrive thought WD with my warrenty.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

If you don't mind losing,or have backed up everything,try fdisking before you do the RMA thing,because windoze could have snafu'ed ,was your scandisk on a floppy or was it run from within windoze???Good luck
!