is an after market cooler necessary for non overclockers

if i get a q6600 would i need to get a better cooler for it even though i don't overclock.
33 answers Last reply
More about market cooler overclockers
  1. Quote:
    if i get a q6600 would i need to get a better cooler for it even though i don't overclock.

An aftermarket cooler like a Zalman 9500/9700 would lower your e6600 temperatures by 5 to 10 C, but the stock cooler will work fine. The stock socket 775 cooler has some issues with not seating properly, so be sure you install it correctly for proper cooling.

The q6600. I have the q6600 and use the Zalman 9500. My idle temps at room temperature (72F) are 22/23C.
  2. There are several reasons to purchase an aftermarket cooler even if you're not overclocking because a DECENT cooler will be:
    -a lot quieter that the stock one (if you also want to use your PC to enjoy a lot of music and movies)
    -Will make your CPU run somehow cooler and in HOT higher-end CPUs like the XQ6700/XQ6800 or X2 6000+ it's almost obligatory.
    -Because most of the good heatsinks' fans are larger than sock ones' and spin, their level of vibration is lower (putting less stress on the motherboard) and life expectancy is higher.
  3. However, most aftermarket socket 775 coolers do not perform the secondary cooling function of the Intel stock cooler (they don't blow air down onto the motherboard and out in all directions), so components such as the PWM region and north bridge may not get properly cooled with an aftermarket cooler. Whether or not this causes a problem depends on your MB's design.
  4. Quote:
    However, most aftermarket socket 775 coolers do not perform the secondary cooling function of the Intel stock cooler (they don't blow air down onto the motherboard and out in all directions), so components such as the PWM region and north bridge may not get properly cooled with an aftermarket cooler. Whether or not this causes a problem depends on your MB's design.

Just get a 25cm side fan and solve the problem :twisted:
  5. I don't mean to be rude, but use some logic here. Why in god's name would intel package a cooler with a cpu if it didn't work?
  6. you have obviously never used a p4 ee 3.73ghz with stock cooling... notorious for over heating, also, if you do get a after market cooler, you could get something like the big typhoon which is quiet, effective, cheap and also blows cool air on to the motherboard, voiding all arguments against it.
  7. If you worried about the motherboard just make sure your case has a side mounted fan, that way there's always airflow down.

I don't think its likely to be an issue with any of the big coolers anyway as once you strap a 120mmm fan to the side of a cooler, its inevitable that some airflow will get diverted by the heatsink fins to around the base of the cooler ie around the motherboard.

The only time you need to worry about North / Southbridge temps really is if you're into some serious overclocking.

To add to what others have said, if you're not overclocking you don't need an aftermarket fan. However most are quieter and will also keep your cpu cooler which is always a good thing as heat is the enemy of all electronics.
  8. Quote:
    However, most aftermarket socket 775 coolers do not perform the secondary cooling function of the Intel stock cooler (they don't blow air down onto the motherboard and out in all directions), so components such as the PWM region and north bridge may not get properly cooled with an aftermarket cooler. Whether or not this causes a problem depends on your MB's design.

That's right, but the very masters of cooling provide for this too, still better than Intel: There is the great price/performance ArcticCooler7PRO, the Zalman 7000 series is also great.
  9. What he said . . .
    Quote:

The answer is no. Intel puts a 3 year warranty on the processor and packages the cooler with the CPU, if you use such a cooler and the processor goes bad... you get a free processor.

An aftermarket cooler would void the 3-year warranty of that retail-boxed q6600. Follow the instructions and carefully seat the HSF assembly . . .
  10. how would they know that it wasn't their cooler on it *if* you mounted yours correctly?
  11. If you run your computer 24/7 like some people do, an aftermarket cooler is the way to go.
  12. Not unless the cpu is overheating.
  13. No. The supplied cooler with a retail processor is fine for standard use.
    Many people will disagree, but if you mount an aftermarket cooler, you instantly void your warranty. No CPU manufacturer would supply a fan in a retail kit that was not sufficient for stock speeds and cooling.
    I would suggest starting off with the stock heatsink/fan. If for some reason it does not cool enough to satisfy you, maybe you your room is unusually hot, maybe your case has bad airflow, maybe you use your PC next to the kitchen stove, or whatever, then spring for an aftermarket cooler.
  14. Quote:
    how would they know that it wasn't their cooler on it *if* you mounted yours correctly?
    The first sign would be on your sales receipt - when it shows an after-market cooler in addition to your retail box processor.

The second sign would be overclocking the cpu - which would void your warranty anyway . . .

Are you advocating the commission of a crime?
  15. Quote:

A question that should've been asked before any answer was giving should have been; "How are you going to use your PC? games, music, browisng, etc..."

Theres many reasons you may want to go aftermarket, but at the same time theres reasons you can save a few backs and be fine with the stock HSF.
  16. Heat destroys the CPU. Heat will shorten it's life. If you care about your investment enough, I would buy an aftermarket cooler.
  17. Not that stock coolers always suck in something, however, the primary problem you might have with them is noise and in the $15-25 price range, you can always find something that is more silent and cools even better than the stock cooler, and if you spent something like $200 for your CPU, these ~$20 are really worth it.
    There are some particular cases however, in which you really don't need it; My girlfriend's new X2 3800+ EE, runs on only 1.15V on load and in a 22°C room only tops @ 41°C with stock cooler, no case fans, nothing at all. But my X2 4200+ goes above 55°C, same room temp, +80mm exhaust fan, so, in most cases, you're better off with an aftermarket cooler.
  18. Quote:
    Heat destroys the CPU. Heat will shorten it's life. If you care about your investment enough, I would buy an aftermarket cooler.

Thats the bottom line right there. I buy aftermarket coolers just for some extra peace of mind. And I don't overclock any of my chips either. In my mind it's extra insurance that it will last longer.
  19. Quote:
    ... the very masters of cooling provide for this too, still better than Intel: There is the great price/performance ArcticCooler7PRO,...

Sorry, I've got a Freezer 7 Pro, and it DOES NOT blow air down onto the MB in all directions like the stock Intel one. My MB's PWM areas need the cooling, so I had to add some small extra fans in addition to the Freezer 7 Pro to properly cool the PWM area.
  20. Quote:
    ... in the $15-25 price range, you can always find something that is more silent and cools even better than the stock cooler,...

Examples, please, for socket 775?
  21. Quote:
    ... in the $15-25 price range, you can always find something that is more silent and cools even better than the stock cooler,...

Examples, please, for socket 775?
    And what would the last 3 bent fins on that cooler do?!

Maybe you didn't orient it in the right direction or your motherboard's layout didn't allow for this, but they are meant to cool the PWM region.
    Other example?!:
    http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-700BCA
  22. Quote:
    Heat destroys the CPU. Heat will shorten it's life. If you care about your investment enough, I would buy an aftermarket cooler.

please show me some evidence that prolonged use of an OEM cooler shortens a CPU's life. you won't find any because it's a myth. what kills a cpu is failure of a cooler. and that only happens if you don't take care of ur PC (like dusting). it's like the hard drive myth. the cooler the better. right? nope... google showed that was B.S. in fact, if the ambient temp is too cold it will lead to a very quick failure of ur HDD. turns out the best temp for a hard drive to be at is between 36C and 47C (which ironically turns out to be the average temperature inside a computer case). Same is true of CPU's.

stock cooling from intel and AMD is more than adequate. i've got a 4800+ OC'd to 2.6Ghz and it's running at 38C right now. all on a stock cooler. in fact, i've never used anything BUT stock cooling on all my CPU's and they've never failed.
  23. Quote:

The chance of a CPU failing as a result of temperature problems if you have a properly installed stock cooler is very small. Hard drives, motherboards, video cards, and memory will all have a much higher chance of failing over time. A CPU might have a warranty of 3 or 5 years, but I would expect it to last much longer with very high probability as long as the PC is taken care of (i.e. don't let it get struck by lightning, or spill beer on it, or stick it in a closed cupboard). A 500GB hard drive with a 5 year warranty on the, other hand, will have a good chance of failing within 5 years.
  24. Quote:
    There are several reasons to purchase an aftermarket cooler even if you're not overclocking because a DECENT cooler will be:
    -a lot quieter that the stock one (if you also want to use your PC to enjoy a lot of music and movies)
    -Will make your CPU run somehow cooler and in HOT higher-end CPUs like the XQ6700/XQ6800 or X2 6000+ it's almost obligatory.
    -Because most of the good heatsinks' fans are larger than sock ones' and spin, their level of vibration is lower (putting less stress on the motherboard) and life expectancy is higher.

Would you recommend any of these coolers for a Q6600/Striker combination? (Got the list from my local shop's web site). Thanks!

Asus Silent Square S775 CPU Heatsink Fan (Silent-Square)
    Scythe Ninja Plus Revision B Heatsink
    Scythe Infinity Universal 5 Heatpipe Cooler
    Thermaltake Big Typhoon Heatpipe Heatsink / Fan, K7/K8/P4/LGA775
    Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU Cooler (AM2/775/754/939/940)
  25. A Q6600 does run a bit warm. The stock cooler should keep the CPU cool enough if your room is under 80 F and your case has good airflow. If you want to ensure that the stock heatsink is enough, undervolt the CPU. I undervolted my X2 4200+ from 1.35 volts to 1.225 volts and it lopped 8 C from the full-load temps.
  26. Quote:
    There are several reasons to purchase an aftermarket cooler even if you're not overclocking because a DECENT cooler will be:

Would you recommend any of these coolers for a Q6600/Striker combination? (Got the list from my local shop's web site). Thanks!

take the ASUS and the Heatpipe cooler off of the list.

Add the Tuniq Tower and the Noctua NH-U12F, and you have a great list.
  27. if you live in a country in like in southeast asia, and have no a/c, you definitely need an aftermarket cooler. esp for those quads.

Those lucky sods who live up north and dont even perspire in their armpits dont need to replace the stock cooler if they dont want to.

my room at summer even at nights is 26-29degrees. my poor e4300 will die in that heat lol
  28. Quote:
    if you live in a country in like in southeast asia, and have no a/c, you definitely need an aftermarket cooler. esp for those quads.

Those lucky sods who live up north and dont even perspire in their armpits dont need to replace the stock cooler if they dont want to.

my room at summer even at nights is 26-29degrees. my poor e4300 will die in that heat lol

new york baby, its the place to live ;)
  29. zalman 9700led is a good choice, the scythe infinity is a big cooler which uses intel's push-pin so after a few remountings it'll die on you.

i'd rank them from 1 - 5

5. Asus Silent Square S775 CPU Heatsink Fan (Silent-Square)
    3. Scythe Ninja Plus Revision B Heatsink
    4. Scythe Infinity Universal 5 Heatpipe Cooler
    2. Thermaltake Big Typhoon Heatpipe Heatsink / Fan, K7/K8/P4/LGA775
    1. Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU Cooler (AM2/775/754/939/940)
  30. Quote:
    if you live in a country in like in southeast asia, and have no a/c, you definitely need an aftermarket cooler. esp for those quads.

new york baby, its the place to live ;)

:P sponsor my us visa and i'll be there lol j/k
  31. Whats up with like 4 people with the same avatar?

/off topic
  32. Quote:
    Whats up with like 4 people with the same avatar?

/off topic

anyone steal my avatar, ill f*king kill you
  33. Quote:

They're all good coolers but I think they're too expensive and too much on the overclockers' side. If you want a cooler for Q6600 stock operation, an AF7PRO or a Zalman CNPS7000B-CU will be just fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Cooling