XP can't see entire drive after new install AND service packs!

gorgerax

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
OK...Here's the deal:

I rebuilt my friends Gateway after his HD died with a new 250GB SATA drive using an original XP Pro install disk. I had to F6 to install the SATA drivers and the entire install went fine including subsequent installs of mobo, graphics and networking drivers as well as service packs 2 and 3. Of course then I reinstalled dozens of apps and returned it to him.

After he got it home, he noticed onbly @ 127 GB of the 250 GB hard drive showed up!

I have rebuilt many, many machines including ones with large HD and even SATA. I am familiar with the large HD issue with old OS's inculding the original XP...So I messed up on this one! LOL I have yet to determijne if this bios supports large HD so that may still be a limiting factor, HOWEVER...now that it's done, is there a way to make XP w/SP3 "see" the whole drive? I don't have the machine with me so so I may still be able to create a new partition and name it D drive or something.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

You should be able to go into disk management and create another partition on the free space. If not, then I'd suggest using a slipstreamed SP2 or SP3 CD. Incidentally... why install SP2 and then SP3? Simply installing SP3 would have been sufficient and would have taken less time.

G

You can't install SP3 on a Windows installation of SP1 or earlier.

Grumpy