Return policy for Win XP...

Sagekilla

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Does anyone know what the return policy is for a damaged Windows XP Pro SP2 disc? I bought a new copy recently off of newegg, and when I opened up the box it had a bunch of smudges all over the disc. They weren't big, but they weren't tiny either, and they won't come off when I try cleaning it.

Will I have to return this to newegg or to Microsoft, if it's even possible?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Software Return Policy

* Return Retail Software for refund within: 30 days (must be unopened)
* Return OEM Software for refund within: non-refundable
* Return Defective (Retail or OEM) Software for replacement within: 30 days

This is our Detailed Software Return Policy.
Opened Retail or OEM software can only be returned for replacement, and replacement RMAs will only be honored if the returned software is defective or damaged.
Retail Boxed software may only be returned for refund within 30 days of the invoice date if the packaging is unopened and factory sealed. No software returns will be accepted after 30 days.
OEM software is non-refundable once purchased and delivered. OEM versions are intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred to another PC once installed. Purchasers of this software are required to comply with the terms of the applicable System Builder License, including responsibility for providing all end-user support. Newegg.com is not responsible for system/software incompatibility, and incompatibility issues do not qualify software as damaged or defective. Customers are encouraged to contact the respective software publisher for answers to technical questions, such as minimum system requirements, prior to purchase.

Return it.