cookies again

May 20, 2005 1:00:22 AM

On an earlier post I wrote and asked:

On a number of my bookmarked FAVORITE web sites, such as the NY Times and
Yahoo Calendar I have repeatedly clicked a box asking the sites to remember
my id and password--to no avail. I always have to re-enter those items. Is
that a fault of the sites, my computer, WindowsXP?

I was advised to Launch Internet Explorer-Tools-Internet
Options-Content-Auto Complete. I did and discovered that all options, Web
Addresses, Forms, User Name and Passwords were checked. So I still wonder
whether my annoying problem stems from the web sites, my computer or XP.

Jerry

More about : cookies

May 20, 2005 11:58:40 AM

Jerome Nadelhaft wrote:
> On an earlier post I wrote and asked:
>
> On a number of my bookmarked FAVORITE web sites, such as the NY Times
> and Yahoo Calendar I have repeatedly clicked a box asking the sites
> to remember my id and password--to no avail. I always have to
> re-enter those items. Is that a fault of the sites, my computer,
> WindowsXP?
>
> I was advised to Launch Internet Explorer-Tools-Internet
> Options-Content-Auto Complete. I did and discovered that all
> options, Web Addresses, Forms, User Name and Passwords were checked.
> So I still wonder whether my annoying problem stems from the web
> sites, my computer or XP.
>
> Jerry

If you delete the cookies that these websites place on your system you will
have to type your username and password again.
--
Mike Pawlak
Anonymous

"Jerome Nadelhaft" <jjnadelhaft@verizon.net> wrote:

>On a number of my bookmarked FAVORITE web sites, such as the NY Times and
>Yahoo Calendar I have repeatedly clicked a box asking the sites to remember
>my id and password--to no avail. I always have to re-enter those items. Is
>that a fault of the sites, my computer, WindowsXP?

FYI: Microsoft now provides a Fingertip Reader as an external hardware
device. You can type in your passwords once and then log in at any
time just by ressing your fingertip on the reader.

--
(tm)
May 21, 2005 3:40:37 PM

On Sat, 21 May 2005 11:40:36 +0200, Thorsten Matzner wrote:

> FYI: Microsoft now provides a Fingertip Reader as an external hardware
> device. You can type in your passwords once and then log in at any
> time just by ressing your fingertip on the reader.

These are very cool. Haven't tried the one from MS but there's a thumbprint
reader built-in to my tablet PC. Works well and is very handy. No pun
intended.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

There seems to be two types of login processes. In one type the operating
system recognizes a login page and retains the id and password, if desired.
In the other type there is a check mark to retain the id. The id is kept in
a cookie but the password is not retained. This is just my observation.
Maybe someone can clear it up.

> On Sat, 21 May 2005 11:40:36 +0200, Thorsten Matzner wrote:
>
>> FYI: Microsoft now provides a Fingertip Reader as an external hardware
>> device. You can type in your passwords once and then log in at any
>> time just by ressing your fingertip on the reader.
>
> These are very cool. Haven't tried the one from MS but there's a
> thumbprint
> reader built-in to my tablet PC. Works well and is very handy. No pun
> intended.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 12:56:35 AM

On Sat, 21 May 2005 14:23:11 -0700, Dennis Marks wrote:

> There seems to be two types of login processes. In one type the operating
> system recognizes a login page and retains the id and password, if desired.
> In the other type there is a check mark to retain the id. The id is kept in
> a cookie but the password is not retained. This is just my observation.
> Maybe someone can clear it up.

Yes, those are two different login types. The software for the thumbprint
device can handle either - Windows logon or site logon.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User