cookies again

On an earlier post I wrote and asked:

On a number of my bookmarked FAVORITE web sites, such as the NY Times and
Yahoo Calendar I have repeatedly clicked a box asking the sites to remember
my id and password--to no avail. I always have to re-enter those items. Is
that a fault of the sites, my computer, WindowsXP?

I was advised to Launch Internet Explorer-Tools-Internet
Options-Content-Auto Complete. I did and discovered that all options, Web
Addresses, Forms, User Name and Passwords were checked. So I still wonder
whether my annoying problem stems from the web sites, my computer or XP.

Jerry
5 answers Last reply
More about cookies again

    Jerome Nadelhaft wrote:
    > On an earlier post I wrote and asked:
    >
    > On a number of my bookmarked FAVORITE web sites, such as the NY Times
    > and Yahoo Calendar I have repeatedly clicked a box asking the sites
    > to remember my id and password--to no avail. I always have to
    > re-enter those items. Is that a fault of the sites, my computer,
    > WindowsXP?
    >
    > I was advised to Launch Internet Explorer-Tools-Internet
    > Options-Content-Auto Complete. I did and discovered that all
    > options, Web Addresses, Forms, User Name and Passwords were checked.
    > So I still wonder whether my annoying problem stems from the web
    > sites, my computer or XP.
    >
    > Jerry

    If you delete the cookies that these websites place on your system you will
    have to type your username and password again.
    --
    Mike Pawlak

    "Jerome Nadelhaft" <jjnadelhaft@verizon.net> wrote:

    >On a number of my bookmarked FAVORITE web sites, such as the NY Times and
    >Yahoo Calendar I have repeatedly clicked a box asking the sites to remember
    >my id and password--to no avail. I always have to re-enter those items. Is
    >that a fault of the sites, my computer, WindowsXP?

    FYI: Microsoft now provides a Fingertip Reader as an external hardware
    device. You can type in your passwords once and then log in at any
    time just by ressing your fingertip on the reader.

    --
    (tm)

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 11:40:36 +0200, Thorsten Matzner wrote:

    > FYI: Microsoft now provides a Fingertip Reader as an external hardware
    > device. You can type in your passwords once and then log in at any
    > time just by ressing your fingertip on the reader.

    These are very cool. Haven't tried the one from MS but there's a thumbprint
    reader built-in to my tablet PC. Works well and is very handy. No pun
    intended.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    There seems to be two types of login processes. In one type the operating
    system recognizes a login page and retains the id and password, if desired.
    In the other type there is a check mark to retain the id. The id is kept in
    a cookie but the password is not retained. This is just my observation.
    Maybe someone can clear it up.

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 14:23:11 -0700, Dennis Marks wrote:

    > There seems to be two types of login processes. In one type the operating
    > system recognizes a login page and retains the id and password, if desired.
    > In the other type there is a check mark to retain the id. The id is kept in
    > a cookie but the password is not retained. This is just my observation.
    > Maybe someone can clear it up.

    Yes, those are two different login types. The software for the thumbprint
    device can handle either - Windows logon or site logon.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Windows XP