Sign in with
Your question

2900XT 3D Mark Glitch

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
May 19, 2007 11:08:06 PM

My old system had a 6800GT SLI setup. I uninstalled the old nVidia drivers and replaced the cards with a 2900XT. I then installed the newest radeon drivers and updated my motherboard drivers (which is a nVidia nForce 4 SLI). I think that the card runs fine in games (it seems to), however, it will not load 3D Mark. It begins the startup scan, but never finishes. I wanted to run 3D Mark to make sure that there are not driver conflicts.

I also have a weird glitch in Oblivion. If I try to enable HDR, the game tells me that I cannot enable both HDR and AA, which I know this card can do. It seems that my computer can't get the card's information. It can't read the specs or temp of the card in programs like PCWizard 07 either.

I'm kind of lost on what to do next. I tried reinstalling drivers, but to no avail. Does this sound like a driver conflict? What should I do to make sure there are no old nVidia display drivers lurking around.

More about : 2900xt mark glitch

May 19, 2007 11:25:07 PM

I know when I run 3dmark05, at the point when the pirateship comes up, the 2nd run through of it gives me like 3fps. Yet, it still gave me a score in my sig,

This is the free version by the way.

Back to the OP: it sounds like a driver conflict. Did you download the drivers from ati.com? Or did you use the driver cd that came with the video card?
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
May 19, 2007 11:35:25 PM

Both. First I used the ones from the CD and had the problem. Then I installed the newest from the ATI's site and still have the problem.

I'm thinking about trying nVidia's Nasty File Remover. Think that will help?

I should also point out that this is a barebones windows and is not connected to the internet and thus isn't fully updated. It has SP2 and Net framework 2.0 (two things the card requires to run), but that is about it windows wise.
Related resources
May 20, 2007 12:16:27 AM

Dont worry about oblivion for some reason it will never let you do HDR/AA unless u have a X1000 series, my 8800GTX cant do both in oblivion so no problem....

As for 3dMark i dont know.... but if ur games run fine why care?
May 20, 2007 12:20:42 AM

Quote:
Dont worry about oblivion for some reason it will never let you do HDR/AA unless u have a X1000 series,
I have a Radeon x1950XT and it will not enable HDR with AA either...
May 20, 2007 12:25:00 AM

Quote:
Dont worry about oblivion for some reason it will never let you do HDR/AA unless u have a X1000 series, my 8800GTX cant do both in oblivion so no problem....

As for 3dMark i dont know.... but if ur games run fine why care?
That's funny, because my 8800GTX has no problems running Oblivion with HDR and antialiasing simultaneously. Oblivion won't let you enable it in the menu thanks to TWIMTBP, but you can force antialiasing in the drivers if your card supports it.
May 20, 2007 12:41:39 AM

Quote:

LMAO 8800 series does AA in Oblivion with HDR. Trust me, I know.
May 20, 2007 1:56:37 AM

ya really? because i tried to force it and it didnt work...... so either your wrong or your wrong.
May 20, 2007 2:33:24 AM

Quote:
ya really? because i tried to force it and it didnt work...... so either your wrong or your wrong.
No, he's right; I own an 8800GTX and I play Oblivion at 1680x1050 with 4xAA 16xAF and all in game qualities at the max. Did you go to "Override any application setting" ?
May 20, 2007 2:42:47 AM

for the first one, its quite easy, run it with the command line switch "-nosysteminfo", for the second one, have you tried the chuck patch? (i know it is only for the R5xx but hey..) Also, have you downloaded the R600 additional drivers? they are available in a link in the knowledge base (i think).
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
May 20, 2007 3:30:39 AM

I turned HDR on in Oblivion and enabled 4x AA in the drivers, so I think I now have HDR and AA on, though I am not certain. I know the card can do it.

I have heard of the chuck patch, but I think that this works (and Oblivion looks so great, so I don't really care if they are both on or not). I already downloaded the newest drivers from the knowledgebase

For the 3D Mark command line, do I just do run => 3DMark06-nosysteminfo, and it should work? I'll try something like this and see if I can get it to work.

Thank you all for this input.
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
May 20, 2007 4:32:28 AM

No luck with 3D Mark. I have Pro 05 and Advanced 06, and command line functions don't work, you need 05 Business and whatever is above 06 Advanced. Oh well, as you said, 3D Mark doesn't really matter.
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
May 21, 2007 2:01:08 AM

Alright, I haven't tested this to be sure, but it sounds promising. This is straight from the guys at fururemark. Apparently I wasn't the only one having this problem (I was just the only one who didn't know how to fix it).

"
Q: I just bought the ATI Radeon HD 2900XT and 3DMark06 freezes during the splash-screen. What is wrong and how can I fix this?
A: This is a known issue and we have been able to reproduce it in our test lab. The problem lays in an DLL which we use to detect the graphics cards' core and memory speeds. We are working on an update to correct this issue after which all Futuremark benchmarks should run fine with the latest offerings from all IHV's. Until then you can work around this issue either by renaming the "Direcpll.dll" file (found in %WINDIR%\system32\Futuremark\MSC\) to something else, or you can run the benchmark using the -nosysteminfo command line. Please note that if you use the -nosysteminfo command line, you will not be able to publish the result online. Futuremark will inform all its users when the update is available!

"

Just in case anyone else has this problem.

I will try to post my 05 and 06 scores later tonight. :D  :D  :D 
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
May 21, 2007 3:48:02 AM

In stock 06 it scored 9700 3D Marks with a CPU score of 2150.
Although this is a little low, I expected this because most systems used Core 2s which are a little faster (the 1000 or so points am missing).

I can't get an 05 score, it will only let me view them online which isn't possible with this fix. Oh well, this card was getting over 100FPS most of the time in Canyon Flight!

At least I have confirmed that there are no driver conflicts, which was why I wanted to get 3D mark to work.
May 21, 2007 4:30:14 AM

Wouldn't hurt to run driver cleaner pro in safe mode to make sure all the Nvidia stuff is gone though.
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
May 21, 2007 12:12:53 PM

I ran driver cleaner and Nasty file remover about five times (and reinstalled the drivers) before I realized that it wasn't my system.

I have AA and AF enabled in the drivers and HDR in the game, so I think I have both. The IQ of this card is amazing (at least compared to my old 6800s :lol:  :lol:  ).
May 21, 2007 12:34:53 PM

Quote:
I ran driver cleaner and Nasty file remover about five times (and reinstalled the drivers) before I realized that it wasn't my system.

I have AA and AF enabled in the drivers and HDR in the game, so I think I have both. The IQ of this card is amazing (at least compared to my old 6800s :lol:  :lol:  ).
I have a 6800GT in my old system so I know what you mean. :lol:  So are you able to max out Oblivion's image quality?
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
May 21, 2007 4:17:17 PM

My montior is only 1280x1024, so yes. I run 4xAA, 8xAF, HDR, and Vsync, along with long range view mods and all of the game options turned to max. It runs very smooth and looks awesome.
May 22, 2007 12:30:53 PM

Why don't you use 16xAF? I doubt that would make any sort of performance hit on the HD 2900XT. :? Glad to hear it runs well though. :) 
May 22, 2007 2:37:21 PM

Quote:
Why don't you use 16xAF? I doubt that would make any sort of performance hit on the HD 2900XT. :? Glad to hear it runs well though. :) 

Actually both AA and AF are taking a major toll in the performance of the new 2900XT.

1) AA performance, since the AA resolve is being done on the ALU's it takes a bigger hit, this has nothing to do with bandwidth, fillrates, ROP's, there is at least a 10% overhead for this.

AF, filtering hurts the r600 because it only has 16 TMU's, it gets hits more then the g80 because the g80 has more TMU's. No way around this

2) AA bluring is due to the CFAA modes, don't like them? Don't use em. X8 MSAA is the highest you can go against the competition. The g80 can go up to x16 CSAA and x16q

3) AA performance at x8 AA will be lower for the r600 look at point 1.
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
May 22, 2007 3:53:13 PM

At these settings there is no performance decrease compared with no AA or AF. I probably could go higher without a major FPS loss, but this is good enough. AA and AF performance hopefully will improve with new drivers (probably not to GTX levels though).
May 22, 2007 4:04:47 PM

Quote:
At these settings there is no performance decrease compared with no AA or AF. I probably could go higher without a major FPS loss, but this is good enough. AA and AF performance hopefully will improve with new drivers (probably not to GTX levels though).

Well in all fairness I forgot to point out the fact that Oblivion is the one and only game so far that does not seem to have the AA and AF issue.

However all the other games like FEAR...ETC take a major hit with those 2 features enabled.
May 22, 2007 4:20:03 PM

Test Drive Unlimited the R600 is the winner-Also keep in mind this game was developed on 360 Hardware-ATI GPU so its probably favored to run better on ATI. Same thing with R6.

Stalker Does not Support AA

Neck and Neck :wink:

May 22, 2007 4:56:00 PM

Quote:
I know when I run 3dmark05, at the point when the pirateship comes up, the 2nd run through of it gives me like 3fps. Yet, it still gave me a score in my sig,

The second run is CPU-only, it doesn't use the videocard at all.

That's why it's in single-digit framerates, it's like that for everybody...
!