Sign in with
Your question

Add/Deleting Fonts to XP

Last response: in Windows XP
September 6, 2008 3:43:49 AM

Tried installing new fonts off CD. XP informs me that the number of allowed fonts for my system are maxed out (!), but doesn't explain how I might safely delete old, unused or redundant fonts so I can free up the space for new ones.

If it matters, these are fonts I wish to use in my word processing and graphics programs. I'm not attempting to change the display of my desktop itself.

More about : add deleting fonts

September 6, 2008 1:03:13 PM

Create a folder like C:\OLDFONTS, move unwanted fonts from C:\WINDOWS\Fonts to there, restart pc, try out your regular apps, if everything checks out, install new fonts.
September 7, 2008 12:22:52 PM

look around for a font manager there are many free ones around.
It will save you countless hours of fooling around. I used to be in the graphics industry and understand your troubles.
A managment prog will allow you to move around many fonts of the same family at the same time for repeatable results instead of trying to render them on the fly. eg times roman will look ok but maybe not times roman bold unless you have the times roman bold metrics installed.
That is more important when using fonts for graphics as compared to word processing.

It will also make sure all of the necessary fonts go with the print job which is very important if you send your work to a image setter.

Many will also let you change the names of the fonts to something more standard and also allow you to view the different fonts while trying to match to another font.
September 23, 2008 10:45:03 PM

Any recommendations on a good free font manager? Font Thing seems to come highly recommended, but I haven't tried it yet.
!