Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

questions about new comcast dvr set top box

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 8:33:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

the dvr has come to colorado comcast, and i got my new dvr stb
thursday. i very much like hqving optical audio straight to my a/v
receiver - the sound is quite a bit bit better than after the decoding
in the previous digital stb. and the convenience is great.

on the back of the boc there is a dvi output. we get only an idiot's
manual for the use of this box. the installer said that dvi is
functional. so, can i use that output to go directly to my samsung
dlp set? where do i find the correct cable?

since this is a recorder but NOT a dvd burner, i still have to make
copies via svhs to a vcr. does anyone know how to take the output
directly to a dvd burner, which dvd burner, and where are the
discussions of this means of making copies?
--
getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence
- jules feifer
to email me, delete blackhole. from my return address
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:34:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Don't buy your DVI cable at Best Buy (monster cables) -- or specifically, do
not pay $100 for this. You can find these cables for $15. Check out
www.newegg.com.

Jeff


"arthur wouk" <awouk@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
news:1104626078.260500@irys.nyx.net...
> the dvr has come to colorado comcast, and i got my new dvr stb
> thursday. i very much like hqving optical audio straight to my a/v
> receiver - the sound is quite a bit bit better than after the decoding
> in the previous digital stb. and the convenience is great.
>
> on the back of the boc there is a dvi output. we get only an idiot's
> manual for the use of this box. the installer said that dvi is
> functional. so, can i use that output to go directly to my samsung
> dlp set? where do i find the correct cable?
>
> since this is a recorder but NOT a dvd burner, i still have to make
> copies via svhs to a vcr. does anyone know how to take the output
> directly to a dvd burner, which dvd burner, and where are the
> discussions of this means of making copies?
> --
> getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence
> - jules feifer
> to email me, delete blackhole. from my return address
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:34:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Check ebay! I got one for $9.99 and its electrically equivalent to those
ripoff cables they sell for ten times that.
Related resources
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 3:59:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

DVI cables available at Best Buy if you have one close by and they are not
cheap.
Ross
"arthur wouk" <awouk@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
news:1104626078.260500@irys.nyx.net...
> the dvr has come to colorado comcast, and i got my new dvr stb
> thursday. i very much like hqving optical audio straight to my a/v
> receiver - the sound is quite a bit bit better than after the decoding
> in the previous digital stb. and the convenience is great.
>
> on the back of the boc there is a dvi output. we get only an idiot's
> manual for the use of this box. the installer said that dvi is
> functional. so, can i use that output to go directly to my samsung
> dlp set? where do i find the correct cable?
>
> since this is a recorder but NOT a dvd burner, i still have to make
> copies via svhs to a vcr. does anyone know how to take the output
> directly to a dvd burner, which dvd burner, and where are the
> discussions of this means of making copies?
> --
> getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence
> - jules feifer
> to email me, delete blackhole. from my return address
January 2, 2005 4:00:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Rosser Moody wrote:
> DVI cables available at Best Buy if you have one close by and they are not
> cheap.
> Ross
> "arthur wouk" <awouk@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
> news:1104626078.260500@irys.nyx.net...
>
>>the dvr has come to colorado comcast, and i got my new dvr stb
>>thursday. i very much like hqving optical audio straight to my a/v
>>receiver - the sound is quite a bit bit better than after the decoding
>>in the previous digital stb. and the convenience is great.
>>
>>on the back of the boc there is a dvi output. we get only an idiot's
>>manual for the use of this box. the installer said that dvi is
>>functional. so, can i use that output to go directly to my samsung
>>dlp set? where do i find the correct cable?
>>
>>since this is a recorder but NOT a dvd burner, i still have to make
>>copies via svhs to a vcr. does anyone know how to take the output
>>directly to a dvd burner, which dvd burner, and where are the
>>discussions of this means of making copies?
>>--
>>getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence
>>- jules feifer
>>to email me, delete blackhole. from my return address
>
>
>
DVI cables are not cheap...I believe I priced them locally around
$100.00 but bought online for about 1/4 of that. Check out pacificcable.com
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 7:31:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Yes but...
There's (at least on the Motorola dual tuner DVR) only one set of audio out
jacks. Do you reccommend having the video and audio go through the VCR, then
to the TV? (DVI doesn't carry audio, just video).
Scott
"Rosser Moody" <ross.moody@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:jIHBd.1206297$Gx4.559069@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> DVI cables available at Best Buy if you have one close by and they are not
> cheap.
> Ross
> "arthur wouk" <awouk@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
> news:1104626078.260500@irys.nyx.net...
>> the dvr has come to colorado comcast, and i got my new dvr stb
>> thursday. i very much like hqving optical audio straight to my a/v
>> receiver - the sound is quite a bit bit better than after the decoding
>> in the previous digital stb. and the convenience is great.
>>
>> on the back of the boc there is a dvi output. we get only an idiot's
>> manual for the use of this box. the installer said that dvi is
>> functional. so, can i use that output to go directly to my samsung
>> dlp set? where do i find the correct cable?
>>
>> since this is a recorder but NOT a dvd burner, i still have to make
>> copies via svhs to a vcr. does anyone know how to take the output
>> directly to a dvd burner, which dvd burner, and where are the
>> discussions of this means of making copies?
>> --
>> getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence
>> - jules feifer
>> to email me, delete blackhole. from my return address
>
>
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:27:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

In article <l6KdnTtWLLtDjUTcRVn-tg@comcast.com>,
Scott Sulley <sulley@comcast.net> wrote:
:Yes but...
:There's (at least on the Motorola dual tuner DVR) only one set of audio out
:jacks. Do you reccommend having the video and audio go through the VCR, then
:to the TV? (DVI doesn't carry audio, just video).
:Scott

i want to separate out watching a performance, and copying it. in
watching, i would like to send the video signal to the tv without
whatever shenanigans the stb performs on it - just let the tv do what
it wants to. this minimizes processing the signal before viewing.
similarly, i xend the audio signal optically to my a/v receiver which
produces my audio.

as to copying it, i do not believe that i can just copy the digital
signals to the dvd recorder. maybe i can. maybe i can't. where are
these questions being diuscussed at the moment?
--
getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence
- jules feifer
to email me, delete blackhole. from my return address
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:51:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Rosser Moody" <ross.moody@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>DVI cables available at Best Buy if you have one close by and they are not
>cheap.

FYI, after the morons at Radio Shack and Best Buy tried to tell me I had to get
the most expensive "Monster" DVI cables for the best quality, I purchased one on
Ebay for $1.50.

It seems to work fine to me.

It just has to be able to transfer 1's and 0's from the box to the TV, right?

How fancy a cable does one really need for that?

Jeff
January 5, 2005 9:17:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 22:34:17 -0500, "Jeff Durham"
<jdurham@outdoorlife.local> wrote:

>Don't buy your DVI cable at Best Buy (monster cables) -- or specifically, do
>not pay $100 for this. You can find these cables for $15. Check out
>www.newegg.com.
>
>Jeff
>

Offer to pay the $100 if they knock $100 off your TV ;) 

Everyone needs hooks for bargaining.
!