Robert

I am running XPhome on a Dell Dimension 8250. I back up to
an external USB 2.0/Firewire Western Dig HD. My PC has USB
2.0 connection but no Firewire. The PC recognizes the
external HD and I can drag and drop everything from the PC
HD into the ext. HD except, of course, the OS because it is
running. I have tried several times in several ways to
create Ghost Boot disks for cloning and/or imaging, but
Ghost will not recognize my ext. HD. I don't know what I'm
not doing right. Any suggestion, comments?
Robert

Animated Shockwave Ghost tutorial with sound
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tutorial/ghost_2002/2001032917165825_s.html

How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2001032917165825

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"robert" wrote:

| I am running XPhome on a Dell Dimension 8250. I back up to
| an external USB 2.0/Firewire Western Dig HD. My PC has USB
| 2.0 connection but no Firewire. The PC recognizes the
| external HD and I can drag and drop everything from the PC
| HD into the ext. HD except, of course, the OS because it is
| running. I have tried several times in several ways to
| create Ghost Boot disks for cloning and/or imaging, but
| Ghost will not recognize my ext. HD. I don't know what I'm
| not doing right. Any suggestion, comments?
| Robert

Are you running GHOST from with XP, or from a set of floppy disks?

I have found the floppy set to be more reliable.

Also, GHOST 2003 only has parital USB and firewire support.

In my experience, it is very touchy about the USB port being the first USB
port, usually one of those on the motherboard, not one on an add-in PCI
card. It is also touchy about matched USB 2.0 - 2.0, or 1.1 to 1.1, and
does not like 2.0-1.1 combinations. Finally, it does not seem to work on
USB-powered external hard drives. It is not 100% reliable on internal SATA
drives either.

The latest GHOST, version 9, is probably better than 2003, since the new
version is based on PowerQuest Drive Image.

I finally gave up on doing USB with GHOST 2003 and switched to Acronis True
Image. I have not tried GHOST version 9.

"robert" <no.dak@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I am running XPhome on a Dell Dimension 8250. I back up to an external USB
>2.0/Firewire Western Dig HD. My PC has USB 2.0 connection but no Firewire.
>The PC recognizes the external HD and I can drag and drop everything from
>the PC HD into the ext. HD except, of course, the OS because it is running.
>I have tried several times in several ways to create Ghost Boot disks for
>cloning and/or imaging, but Ghost will not recognize my ext. HD. I don't
>know what I'm not doing right. Any suggestion, comments?
> Robert

Does Ghost2003 support USB disks??
I know Ghost2005 does it..

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"robert" <no.dak@verizon.net> kirjoitti viestissä
> I am running XPhome on a Dell Dimension 8250. I back up to
> an external USB 2.0/Firewire Western Dig HD. My PC has USB
> 2.0 connection but no Firewire. The PC recognizes the
> external HD and I can drag and drop everything from the PC
> HD into the ext. HD except, of course, the OS because it is
> running. I have tried several times in several ways to
> create Ghost Boot disks for cloning and/or imaging, but
> Ghost will not recognize my ext. HD. I don't know what I'm
> not doing right. Any suggestion, comments?
> Robert

br549

Yes it does.