Installing Vista :( ...

Grant1872x

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
:) Hi all, Had to reinstall Vista (new HDD) and I am getting problems with the install after it all completes I get a few different errors (I have tried it 3x now and i'm giving up!) Look below:

At the end where it's finishing up I get this...
"Windows could not set the offline locale information. Error code: 0x80FF0000" :fou:

also I get an error that says Windows cannot boot or something and "...any changes that were made to your computer in the installation process will not be saved."

I have also tried XP, Linux Ubuntu with failure too, for unknown reasons (like faulty disks :p) But this Vista disk is genuine and installed on my sisters PC with no problems! :(

What has happened!!!!!???? :pfff:

Specs:
Packard Bell: MC 1538
CPU: Intel P4 3.06Ghz (MNF In: 2005)
RAM: 2.5GB
HDD: 250GB SATA @ 7200 RPM
Motherboard: Gigabyte (Sunshine or sumthin :pt1cable: )

Any help will be appreciated greatly :) ;)

Grant1872x

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Thank you everyone, so far! but I also installed 2GB of RAM from a seller on eBay, it's unbranded (but I got it for about 19quid!)

I have successfully installed Vista and I now get alot of crashes from Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer after some time, I have had only one hang (mouse not moving) upon startup and I am starting to get quite annoyed and I feel hopeless. My last resort is going into the city to find some good computer techs. I don't have the equipment i'm only 14... :(

Thanks so far guys...

OK, but you got an install finally. That much is a start.

Unbranded ram, eh? I don't recommend cheap ram but let's assume the ram is good and that the problem has to do with how the ram is configured in the BIOS. Does the RAM have a little sticker on it with the mfg. recommended settings for voltage and timings? Are there any identifying numbers on it we could Google?

If so, then if that old Packard Bell will let you, go into the BIOS and make sure everything is adjusted properly.

if you can find no info on the ram then go into BIOS anyway and set the RAM voltage to 2.0 and test for stability, if that fails take it up to 2.1.. Low RAM voltage is a frequent problem these days, we see this come up almost daily.

I have no idea where that will be in your BIOS or if Packard Bell even allows that kind of tweaking but poke around a bit and see what you can find. It's often under 'chipset options' but it could be elsewhere so keep poking.

If this leads nowhere then download this http://www.memtest.org/download/2.01/memtest86+-2.01.iso.zip. You burn it to a CD and then boot from it - a memory test will automatically run - let it run overnight and see if it reports errors.

There is a possibility that old PB just isn't up to new tricks like Vista but let's cross that bridge if we get to it. I'll Goggle the model number and see if I can come up with anything. Try to be patient and you will get to the bottom of this soon enough.]

It would be interesting to know if XP runs OK on the system now, if you have another HD try installing XP to it.