Will Ultra 120 Extreme fit on a P5N-E Sli?

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I'm looking to build a computer for my brother, and lan on overclocking it a lot. I'm definitely buying the P5N-E motherboard, but I'm hesitant about getting a huge cooler because of the capacitors near the socket, and the huge heatsink on the NB.

Will a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme fit?

And on a separate note, what fan do u guys recommend for the Ultra 120 Extreme? Anandtech did a review in which they used an S-Flex that pushes 63.7cfm... I can get that for around $20, shipping included. Are there better fans out there for less than $25?

Thanks for any help.

There are comparable fans out there for much less. The Yate Loon D12SL-12 is $5 or 4/$16. Don't let the stats fool you, these are quiet, great quality fans. They just don't have overinflated stats like most "high performace" fans. To get an idea on their performance level, the Nexus Real Silent Case Fan are all rebadged Yate Loon D12SL-12s and SilentPCReview.com rates the Nexus fans on the same level as the Scythe SFlex fans and jsut below the Noctua.

I have this cooler, and the actual base is pretty small (not much bigger than the socket). It also stands off pretty high, so I don't think you should have much trouble. That said I don't know specifically about your motherboard, but from looking at it, I don't see how it would be a problem for any motherboard. Now cases are a different matter, this cooler is pretty tall.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I run my Ultra 120 Extreme on a DFI ICFX3200 and it butts up against the NB heatsink but it doesn't interfere with it. It is a soft contact. Looking at the newegg pictures for the P5N-E it looks like the same thing is going to happen with your board. It is likely that the same thing will happen with your setup. My best guess is it won't be an issue because if you compare the relative placement of the NB heatsinks on the two boards they are in nearly the same position.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
That probably means that I'll have to put the fan on the top of the heatsink... gonna have to make sure it doesn't interfere with the airflow of the top fan of the Antec P180B...

Thanks for all the help guys.

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
P5E is a great board and a great and easy overclocker.

Only time to worry is if you get the P5 non "E", as thats supposed to be a bit of a dog.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, have you looked at the thing? 3-phase power? Half the audio connectors missing? You want cheap, how about soldering a standard BIOS chip directly to the board, to save a few cents compared to putting a BIOS socket on?

It's a cheap board, it should cost $80. It cost $140.

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Take a look at my sig - I have one!!

3 Phase power is just a gimmick in my opinion, thats why Gigabyte are the only manufacturers to fit it. I've yet to have any power problems and I've been using Asus boards for the last 5 years. Get a decent power supply and you'll have no problems in my experience.

P532E also a great overclocker, check out the overclocking forums.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I'm looking to build a computer for my brother, and lan on overclocking it a lot. I'm definitely buying the P5N-E motherboard, but I'm hesitant about getting a huge cooler because of the capacitors near the socket, and the huge heatsink on the NB.

Will a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme fit?

And on a separate note, what fan do u guys recommend for the Ultra 120 Extreme? Anandtech did a review in which they used an S-Flex that pushes 63.7cfm... I can get that for around $20, shipping included. Are there better fans out there for less than $25?

Thanks for any help.

It will fit:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1972653&frmKeyword=&STARTPAGE=92&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Your OC is mild, likely requing no voltage increase, so how would you know ifthe 3phase power regulation is crappy or not? I agree with crash, it isn't the most well contructed board at that price point. What is your vdroop? what is your vcore flux @ idle? what is your vcore set at compred to what is actually delivered to the CPU? Just a thought...

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
The question is not for me, but...well, I have a vdroop of 0.06v from idle to dual orthos and 0.04 at full rendering. vdroop is huge but I didn't have problems so far even folding not 24/7 but 16/7 :wink:
3,4,6 phase power and solid capacitors are the best, but I will only believe it when a board dies on me with a related problem. All my pcs had huge ocs on them and none died on me (with crappy vregulators and capacitors). Time will tell. :roll:

P5N-E SLI isn't the best, but where is the firewire and e-sata on the gigabyte mobos? A lot of dollars ahead. This was my main reason to buy it. Overclocking potential was an extra :wink:

EDIT- at the op- as you can see in my post above, the cooler will fit. As for the fan I'd go with the SilenX ixtrema pro 120mm 14DB which pushes 74cfm at 14DB (they say). Check anandtech for the coolers tested with Silenx.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
What board go you guys recommend getting at that price? I don't need especially need eSATA, Firewire, or SLi... what I DO need is overclocking options. I was getting this board because it's reviews said it was a good overclocker.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Take a look at my sig - I have one!!

3 Phase power is just a gimmick in my opinion, thats why Gigabyte are the only manufacturers to fit it. I've yet to have any power problems and I've been using Asus boards for the last 5 years. Get a decent power supply and you'll have no problems in my experience.

P532E also a great overclocker, check out the overclocking forums.

You don't seem to understand the "new meaning" of the term "phase". It's actually three VRM's, and it's Asus, and it's crap.

Gigabyte uses four for its cheapest i650. EVEN ECS USES FOUR. Asus uses three.

Take a look at the ECS board and the Asus board. The ECS board is built better, and its a bargain basement board. Asus certainly has more overclocking controls, and may even have a more stable PCB design than ECS, but the ECS board is more complete.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
SilenX fans have gotten slammed from what I have read. They are routinely critisized for understating noise and overstating air flow. They aren't worth it imo. S Flex are probably some of the top dawgs. I use 1 Sflex, 2 Antec tricools [came with the case], and one 125CFM fan [forget the brand].

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
SilenX fans have gotten slammed from what I have read. They are routinely critisized for understating noise and overstating air flow. They aren't worth it imo. S Flex are probably some of the top dawgs. I use 1 Sflex, 2 Antec tricools [came with the case], and one 125CFM fan [forget the brand].
That's good to hear, because I had an eye on them for my TT Eclipse case. But are you saying that they are noisy? Because tests made with cpu coolers in anandtech show them beating the crap out of the other fans :? They seem to push the cfms they say.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I don't remember tests with SilenX fans on anandtech; however, I know they use Sflex by Scythe. I am not saying they are "noisy" (which in and of itself is a relative term), but that the noise level is understated. They say 18dba but are more like 25dba [made up the numbers]. I also remember reading that the motor in the middle tends to spray a very slight amount of oil. I read this stuff about the fans over 2 months ago so I don't remember the sources, but I do remember reading it because I changed from SilenX to Sflex. If I had a link I remembered I would share it... just wish I could remember what website it was.

Quick check and foudn this

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Thanks, I just saw that. Oil in the mobo, no thanks... Better stay with s-flex or noctua.

But take a look at this:

6gkjkm8.jpg