Gaming on linux

9_breaker

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
im new to linux and i know almost nothing about it.i would like to know which distro of linux will support all or most of the new games . it also should have the best in game visuals . ive heard dx11 is coming out for linux but i dont know how to get it , if thats not true then is there an api for linux thats the same or better.

Solution
Very few of the latest commercial games come out for Linux (good reference), and while there's been some of the work done to get DirectX visual interface stuff working on Gallium3D (a graphics engine API wrapper with the goal to unify the interfaces/efforts), refer to this article for some insight as to why it doesn't necessarily mean games are coming to Linux

allen21

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I've install linux OS window in my desktop pc and window 7 in laptop. but i never use my Desktop pc having linux os to play game. As most games are not supporting linux, which i wanna play. That's why i use to play games in my laptop.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Very few of the latest commercial games come out for Linux (good reference), and while there's been some of the work done to get DirectX visual interface stuff working on Gallium3D (a graphics engine API wrapper with the goal to unify the interfaces/efforts), refer to this article for some insight as to why it doesn't necessarily mean games are coming to Linux

Solution

zoopster

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

directx is *hopefully* losing mindshare as people open up to the better graphics capabilities of OpenGL. Why, you ask, well...let our friends at Wolfire games explain here.

Basically if you want a good cross platform experience, you want OpenGL.

Ubuntu is building a great catalog of applications in their Ubuntu Software Center primarily games at this point and primarily the most popular with SpaceChem, BEEP!, Uplink, Oil Rush and many more. I'd say that is your best bet and if you want the dreaded windows based games you can install Crossover Games from the Ubuntu Software Center and will find that most of the dreaded windows games run just fine, too.

zoopster

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, there are a lot of games that are showing up on Linux. If developers are supporting mobile platforms such as Android, they technically already support Linux so the "port" to a larger screen is minimal.

Take a look at the Ubuntu Software Center in 11.04 or the upcoming 11.10. Ubuntu has a growing list of games for Linux and are adding more daily.

You can also install Crossover Games from the Ubuntu Software Center and run most, if not all, of the PC games on Ubuntu as well.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006

Erm, not quite. Android does indeed run on the Linux kernel, but the system-wide ABI (the interface between userspace and the kernel) is actually different, so it's not just as easy as retargeting the compilation to x86_64 instead of armv7. That being said, it is doable and in many cases, somewhat simple, but it's non-trivial.

So, remember kids, Android is Linux (the kernel) and it isn't (the overall system, although RMS-fans would claim this is actually GNU/Linux)