Why Linux doesn't support IE8, 9 & 10 browser

allen21

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I've installed Linux in my Desktop PC, but i've lot of problem with it. I am currently using default browsers Mozilla , but i couldn't install IE 8, and 10. Why Linux doesn't support all other browsers.

Corrytonapple

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
IE 8 and and 9 (10 is in Beta) are only for Windows Vista and above computers. Well, except for IE 8 which if for XP too. They only work with the Windows system, not mac or any Linux distros. The other browsers I have listed below work in Linux, Windows (I know for sure XP and above), and Mac OS X.
What issues are you having? If you are getting websites angry that you are not using IE and they won't let you on, there is a browser "spoofer" which makes your browser, Firefox, not look like Firefox for Linux to the servers it connects to. Here it is:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/

Also, try downloading Chrome, Opera, or Iceweasle from the Ubuntu Software Center. They are all excellent browsers
Are you dual booting? How long have you had Linux? What version of Linux is it (Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian?)? If you are dual booting, with what version of Windows?

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006

There, fixed it for you. Linux exposes a pretty portable, accepted-in-many-OS's ABI, Microsoft (sanely so, you don't ...help?... your enemy) chose not to put time, effort, and support for Linux (one might argue that they didn't do so for Windows either).

ae2d65a99cith-it.jpg.jpg

Edit: Fixed a few points

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Everything Microsoft makes is proprietary. It's made for Windows. It makes sense from a business standpoint. Unfortunately for everybody else (or fortunately, if you consider how bad IE is :D), IE isn't usable elsewhere.

Firefox has been working great for me for years, no complaints. Chrome is fantastic. Hell, even Opera, Aurora or IceWeasel work just fine.

What issues are you having?

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Friend, with all due respect, there is no point at all in choosing Internet Explorer over Firefox, or Chrome, no matter wich OS you have. You may feel a little scared or making the change but trust the rest of the world on this one, IE is over. It was great once, in the Netscape era, but this was a milenium ago.

TRENDING THREADS