Compressed air from gas stations for PC cleaning. SOLVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Is it advisable to clean your PC with compressed air from a gas station?. My idea is that it should be OK, but I'd like to hear some more opinions.

Note: I'm using now a bicycle air pump (a large one actioned by pressing down with both hands
Bike_pump.jpg

no.

for the same reasons that it is not adviseable to use compressed air from your home compressor. the only thing you should be using to blow your pc out is compressed air from a can meant for this purpose.

reasons why not to use a compressor:

- there could be oil in the compressed air flow
- there could be particles in the airflow
- you could unintentionally charge the surfaces inside your pc case and then discharge them resulting in potential damage.

could you do it? why sure you can do it but realize that there is a larger risk of issues resulting from this over using canned dust spray. personally i will never risk my components this way.

Melissa991

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
I agree with ssddx! I've used a well-maintained small air compressor set to low pressure for years. Maybe it will be better if you buy a very capable cheap one that will last for years.

Krait Haywire

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

Is it OK to use a bicycle pump to clean out the dust ? I used it last night , do I need to worry ? Or is it OK.

i'm unsure if the pump (from the seal rubbing on the tube) would generate a static charge in the air which could discharge in your case or not.

the only thing i would recommend is canned air which can be bought for like $2 a can and is inert. for how often you need to clean a pc (which in most cases isnt that often... every few months at most and i live in a very dusty house) its a worthwhile expense for piece of mind.

Krait Haywire

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

Not much often. Once in a couple of months I guess. But I've noticed a huge drop in temperatures.
Most Wanted made my CPU and GPU to hit 99 degrees in just a mere 15 mins. After using the pump ; maximum temperature I've come so far is 83 degrees! Wow! Same for Far Cry 3.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
This is the best, I got it on amazon for £85. The airflow is quite strong.
I always blow the air from some distance and put my finger on the fan fins to avoid it spinning to fast while I apply the duster, I guess it's not good for the fan bearings spinning them too fast.
MEG8hB9.jpg

I wouldn't use compressed air from a gas station no. As mentioned, there could be compressor oil in it or equally as bad, condensation. Mechanical air pumps/compressors are notorious for this. Even working in an auto shop where it was frequently maintained, the amount of condensation that ended up in the air tools was ridiculous. After using for awhile, your hand would be soaked as would the back of the tool and connecting to an air source meant a spray of water. Not something I'd want in my pc (I didn't even want it in my air tools and they weren't electronic). I've had this happen before airing up tires from service stations where compressors for public use are often neglected and not drained often (if at all).

Something like that datavac would be a much better option. That or compressed air in cans, though I haven't seen a can of compressed dusting air for under $5 in awhile. Still a far better choice than service station air. $5 beats saving $4.50 and ruining a $100-300 cpu or something else.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I see...good to know. The other day I saw an air compressor and vacuum cleaner at Lidl (UK)
for even a lower price than Datavac, about £60 ($80), it was larger but seemed quite good. I stop fans with my fingers while blowing air, it's quite powerful and it may damage the bearings IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.