How do I connect my subwoofer to the receiver???

This should be a pretty easy problem to solve compared to most issues
that posters are dealing with:

I'm in the middle of connecting my mostly new home theater system and
cannot figure out how to connect the sub to the receiver.

The Yamaha receiver (HTR-5760) has two jacks labelled "subwoofer".
One is the the section labelled "Multi-Channel Input" and the other in
section "Pre Out".

The sub (Klipsch KSW12) has all kinds of connections that don't seem
to match up with the receiver jacks - unless I REALLY don't understand
what is going on here. The sub has 2 pair of red/black screw-down
connections labelled "Speaker In". There is another connection (2
jacks) in the "Line In" section labelled "R" and "L/LFE".

What do I need to do??

Reading the manuals for both components wasn't much help.

Hopefully someone out there can help me or I will have to wait until
Monday to call the store, Yamaha, or Klipsch. And, of course, I am
very anxious to turn this system on!

Thanks for any help,
Bob Henninger
4 answers Last reply
More about connect subwoofer receiver

    <katz1@ptd.net> wrote in message
    > This should be a pretty easy problem to solve compared to most issues
    > that posters are dealing with:
    >
    > I'm in the middle of connecting my mostly new home theater system and
    > cannot figure out how to connect the sub to the receiver.
    >
    > The Yamaha receiver (HTR-5760) has two jacks labelled "subwoofer".
    > One is the the section labelled "Multi-Channel Input" and the other in
    > section "Pre Out".
    >
    > The sub (Klipsch KSW12) has all kinds of connections that don't seem
    > to match up with the receiver jacks - unless I REALLY don't understand
    > what is going on here. The sub has 2 pair of red/black screw-down
    > connections labelled "Speaker In". There is another connection (2
    > jacks) in the "Line In" section labelled "R" and "L/LFE".
    >
    > What do I need to do??
    >
    > Reading the manuals for both components wasn't much help.
    >
    > Hopefully someone out there can help me or I will have to wait until
    > Monday to call the store, Yamaha, or Klipsch. And, of course, I am
    > very anxious to turn this system on!
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Bob Henninger

    Connect the one in the PRE OUT section to the LFE input on the sub.

    Leonard

    <katz1@ptd.net> wrote in message
    > This should be a pretty easy problem to solve compared to most issues
    > that posters are dealing with:
    >
    > I'm in the middle of connecting my mostly new home theater system and
    > cannot figure out how to connect the sub to the receiver.
    >
    > The Yamaha receiver (HTR-5760) has two jacks labelled "subwoofer".
    > One is the the section labelled "Multi-Channel Input" and the other in
    > section "Pre Out".

    ===========================
    Pre-Out (subwoofer) is preferred method.
    =============================

    > The sub (Klipsch KSW12) has all kinds of connections that don't seem
    > to match up with the receiver jacks - unless I REALLY don't understand
    > what is going on here. The sub has 2 pair of red/black screw-down
    > connections labelled "Speaker In". There is another connection (2
    > jacks) in the "Line In" section labelled "R" and "L/LFE".

    ================================
    Use the L/LFE input on the sub.
    ============================

    > What do I need to do??
    >
    > Reading the manuals for both components wasn't much help.
    >
    > Hopefully someone out there can help me or I will have to wait until
    > Monday to call the store, Yamaha, or Klipsch. And, of course, I am
    > very anxious to turn this system on!
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Bob Henninger

    and then make sure u turn the volume up. oh and one more thing. on your
    yamaha reciever u have to tell it "Subwoofer... YES". it comes out of the
    box as the sub is turned off. be carefull. it might be that easy.

    if u just got that sub, id consider returning it and getting the Klipsch
    RW-12. the KSW is the lower end "synergy" series Klipsch offers. The
    Reference line RW-12 u can probably get for a comporable price and it is a
    much nicer piece.

    joe

    "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message

    > <katz1@ptd.net> wrote in message
    > > This should be a pretty easy problem to solve compared to most issues
    > > that posters are dealing with:
    > >
    > > I'm in the middle of connecting my mostly new home theater system and
    > > cannot figure out how to connect the sub to the receiver.
    > >
    > > The Yamaha receiver (HTR-5760) has two jacks labelled "subwoofer".
    > > One is the the section labelled "Multi-Channel Input" and the other in
    > > section "Pre Out".
    > >
    > > The sub (Klipsch KSW12) has all kinds of connections that don't seem
    > > to match up with the receiver jacks - unless I REALLY don't understand
    > > what is going on here. The sub has 2 pair of red/black screw-down
    > > connections labelled "Speaker In". There is another connection (2
    > > jacks) in the "Line In" section labelled "R" and "L/LFE".
    > >
    > > What do I need to do??
    > >
    > > Reading the manuals for both components wasn't much help.
    > >
    > > Hopefully someone out there can help me or I will have to wait until
    > > Monday to call the store, Yamaha, or Klipsch. And, of course, I am
    > > very anxious to turn this system on!
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help,
    > > Bob Henninger
    >
    > Connect the one in the PRE OUT section to the LFE input on the sub.
    >
    > Leonard

    Thanks guys,
    I bought a new cable and a "Y" to connect to the R and LFE and it
    sounds great.
    Appreciate the help.
    Bob

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 20:43:06 -0500, katz1@ptd.net wrote:

    >This should be a pretty easy problem to solve compared to most issues
    >that posters are dealing with:
    >
    >I'm in the middle of connecting my mostly new home theater system and
    >cannot figure out how to connect the sub to the receiver.
    >
    >The Yamaha receiver (HTR-5760) has two jacks labelled "subwoofer".
    >One is the the section labelled "Multi-Channel Input" and the other in
    >section "Pre Out".
    >
    >The sub (Klipsch KSW12) has all kinds of connections that don't seem
    >to match up with the receiver jacks - unless I REALLY don't understand
    >what is going on here. The sub has 2 pair of red/black screw-down
    >connections labelled "Speaker In". There is another connection (2
    >jacks) in the "Line In" section labelled "R" and "L/LFE".
    >
    >What do I need to do??
    >
    >Reading the manuals for both components wasn't much help.
    >
    >Hopefully someone out there can help me or I will have to wait until
    >Monday to call the store, Yamaha, or Klipsch. And, of course, I am
    >very anxious to turn this system on!
    >
    >Thanks for any help,
    >Bob Henninger

HDTV Connection Home Theatre Product