Can't boot from optical drive

Gerrich

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
I just installed a Samsung DVD/CD combo drive. It works well with the exception that I cannot boot from it. I have changed the bios and tried manually choosing the drive as well but with no success. Any ideas?

I just installed a Samsung DVD/CD combo drive. It works well with the exception that I cannot boot from it. I have changed the bios and tried manually choosing the drive as well but with no success. Any ideas?

I would try a different drive if you have one. My Samsung dvd/cd combo is not a high quality, solid as a rock piece of hardware. If you don't have a different drive to work with, try a new IDE cable.

dblD

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
I seriously doubt it has _anything_ to do with the drive itself as most know that any recent samsung drive supports all current booting protocols.(i.e. you'll be wasting a lot of time and effort chasing samsung drive issues). (assuming you don't have a wiring issue :),) It is either that your bios doesn't support booting from an optical device or the boot-device order is incorrect. Double check your bios settings again (I'm sure you already know that you have the latest bios image :) so that's probably not an problem). If you continue to have issues, post your MoBo info.

best,
--DD

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah, the CD-ROM is on the JMicron controller, relabled as GigaRAID. It should be set in IDE mode by default, and if so, should also show up in Gigabyte's main BIOS page.

If all these settings are correct, than it should be bootable.

dblD

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
oohh -- I just knew it just couldn't be samsung drive related as I boot from a couple of different samsung drives right now! crashman, u da man!! :)

Best
--DD